Supratip swelling or extra cartilage that is projecting the tip after a primary closed rhinoplasty? (photos)

hi, i just had a primary closed rhinoplasty exactly 2 months ago and i am concerned with the tip of my nose. it projects far too out and its making me depressed. i shared my concern with my surgeon for the second time and he basically just ignores me. i even asked what technique he used and couldnt give me a straight answer... so this is why i am coming to you guys. is this just swelling or will it go down the way i like given some time.. thank you in advance!

Tip

You are only 2 months post op. It takes 4-6 months for some of the tip swelling to subside even a year. You may need a tip revision in the future to reduce it just a little more but first let the swelling go down and then re-evaluate.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty at two months

You are two months out and likely pretty swollen. You need to give it a good year to settle down. Best of luck.

Supratip swelling or extra cartilage.

Stiffness in the tip can take considerable time, and it is just too early to worry. You can use gentle massage over the tip tissue, use a sunscreen, and after the next several months you will know how things have worked out.

Rhinoplasty

You appear to have had a nice dorsal reduction which looks good.  Your tip may still project a bit more than desired and the tip does appear a bit bulbous still.  It may be swelling since only 2 months have elapsed.  Possibly a revision to reduce tip projection and refine the tip cartilages would be indicated in the future.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Pollybeak deformity

Sorry to hear about your experience. From the photos, it appears that you have a small "pollybeak" deformity, which can be due to several reasons. In your case, it appears that your nasal tip might be underprojected (rather than overprojected) leading to the relative supratip fullness. Or as you said, you could also have "extra" tissue in the supratip area, which is less likely but possible. This could be scar tissue or cartilage (either a cartilage graft or your septum). You can request the written operative report from your surgeon to find out what exactly was done if you are interested, although such will not change anything and is hence not overly relevant. Please remember, though, that you still have some edema 2 months after surgery and need to wait a few more months until all swelling subsides. It is best to stay patient and wait at least another 3-4 months before making any judgment. Also, please adhere to your surgeon's recommendations and follow-up with him regularly. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Following Rhinoplasty

At just 2 months following rhinoplasty it is too early to make conclusions on the final result. Swelling in the soft tissues can take a full year to resolve. As this happens the refinements you are looking for may develop.  At this point the tip of the nose will still feel firm. This will soften with time.  over the next 4-6 months you should see this improve.  Best regards. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Questions

You appear to have a nice result and normal recovery from rhinoplasty at two months. Please try to remain positive and continue to share your concerns in a professional manner with your surgeon. Normal soft tissue swelling can take up to one year for final results after surgery. Hopefully improved communication with your physician and the office staff will give you the support and reassurance that you need to properly recover. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

Thank you for your pictures! At two months, it really is too early to say what the final outcome will be from your closed rhinoplasty.  That being said, at this time there is definitely still swelling to be found on your nasal. How much of this will decrease your projection is really hard to say.  A simple way to follow along your progress is to feel your tip - while it is still "rock hard", there will be a substantial amount of swelling. As it softens there is less and less swelling involved.  Often times tip swelling can increase projection as much as 2 or 3 mm in some cases! As much of a hard time as you are having with your doctor, keep him up to date with your progress and follow up with them.  Despite your experience, they know what technique was used and, as such, should be able to guide you through the healing process.  Next 2-3 months you will see a lot of swelling settle down.  Best of luck.  I hope some of this helped.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon