Is this truly my only option to go bigger? I got 200 and 225 cc Mentor HP smooth round in August. Measured 10 BWD

200 Mentor HP round smooth and 225 in the other breast. Bwd measures 10. I was told this was max in hp. I got breast implants in August. They are very small so I would like to go a little bit bigger. I am being told I would have to go UHP which scares me. Also, it would be done in office while awake with the area numbed. Is that normal practice after the first surgery? Is UHP truly the only way to go bigger?

Revision Breast Surgery

Thank you for your questions.  Multiple factors are taken into consideration when choosing an implant to meet a patient's goals.  Those factors include the patient's measurements, desire for upper pole fullness, postoperative breast width goals, and overall size goals.  A full consultation with a plastic surgeon is required so that an examination and thorough discussion regarding patient goals can take place.  An ultra high profile implant is an option for a patient desiring as much volume as possible for a certain base width.  I would not personally perform a revision breast surgery under local anesthesia alone without some sort of sedation as I believe it would ultimately compromise the result if work was required that the patient could not tolerate without sedation.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Implant exchange

In order to properly size you, you would have to be seen in person to properly evaluate you. Best of luck.

Concerns about revisionary breast surgery…

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

I can tell you (although practices may vary) that in my practice, I perform these types of revisionary breast operations in the operating room, under ideal circumstances, utilizing general anesthesia.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.   For example, adjustment of the breast implant capsules may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.    

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.