Best method for getting rid of a pregnant looking tummy? Will my skin tighten on its own? (photos)

Since I can remember about 12yrs old, I have had this belly abd people ask me numerous times if I am pregnant. I've tried every diet and workout plan. Is a tummy tuck or liposuction better? With lipo would my skin tighten, or do I have to have that surgically fixed as well? I've included photos at my lowest weight and heaviest/ current weight. 147 lbs 5'7" I am 31. I have had 3 children, but I've struggles with this same belly shape since my tween years.

Tummy Tuck candidate

Hello, thanks for your pictures and for your inquiry! I would say that you are a wonderful candidate for a full tummy tuck and if you want you might add liposuction to waist, flanks and probably lower back. That way you would achieve a beautiful hourglass figure. Unfortunately, after pregnancies, the loose skin will rarely come back to its original shape. Also, an abdominal muscle wall correction is needed.  Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Best Procedure to Improve Tummy

An in-person history and physical is necessary to give a definitive answer but based on your history of multiple pregnancies and your photos it is very likely that a full tummy tuck will be recommended.  Liposuction will help to reduce the thickness of the fat layer but it will not tighten the muscle layer that has been stretched nor will it tighten the skin.  A tummy tuck can achieve these goals and allow for a modest amount of liposuction as well.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your specific options.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Decision

Most women will benefit from a tummy tuck after 3 pregnancies. A tummy tuck is designed to remove excess fat, remove excess skin and tighten the abdominal wall muscles. After 3 pregnancies most women will have some stretching of the stomach muscles and skin of the abdomen and a tummy tuck can address these issues. At the same time excess fat of the stomach area can be removed as well.You will get the best result if your body weight is within 10-15 lbs of your ideal body weight or at least near the the weight that you can reasonably expect to get down to and maintain. Sometimes abdominal fullness and protrusion comes from intra-abdominal (visceral) fat. A tummy tuck cannot address this. Dieting and exercise are the best way to decrease this fat component.For more information about a tummy tuck please see the web link below.
For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Pregnant looking belly, tummy tuck or liposuction?

Your photos show a tummy with laxity of the muscular wall.  A tummy tuck will help by flattening and tightening the  abdominal wall as well as removing loose skin, creating a smoother, flatter contour.  Liposuction is unlikely to achieve this result.  See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Gives Best Results

Hi,Thanks for your question. Often skin will not tighten on its own. It depends on the amount of laxity that exists and how much elasticity you have in your skin. You would likely benefit from a tummy tuck, which would not only tighten the muscles and remove fat but also remove excess skin. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will help you determine the best procedure for you. Good luck!

Janet Turkle, MD

Best method for getting rid of a pregnant looking tummy? Will my skin tighten on its own?

It is unlikely that your skin will ever tighten on its own. You have the classic signs of a tummy that has gone through multiple pregnancies-loose skin and muscle laxity. It sounds like your muscles always were loose, even before pregnancy, but have now worsened due to multiple pregnancies.A full tummy tuck possibly with liposuction will improve your abdominal area immensely. 

Tummy Shape

Based on your photos, I think liposuction would give you a much improved contour. If there is some skin laxity, it ca be addressed at that time with a skin pinch maneuver. You do not need a full tummy tuck. Best of luck.

You would do incredible with a tummy tuck

I mean- really, really incredible.  Your muscles need to be sewn back together and it looks like even at 124 lbs (I am assuming prior to any kids) you had a little laxity there which is why people asked you if you were pregnant.  I think with the right surgical plan, you could and should have the best looking tummy you have EVER had.  Make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon that gets remarkable results with tummy tucks- not all plastic surgeons are created equal with every procedure.  Don't stop looking until you find the right one for you.  Any surgeon that tells you liposuction alone will help, you should run from- quickly.  Hope this helps.-JGH

Hi. After 3 kids your skin will not tigthen on its own. You have all  conditions for being a good candidate for "Abdominopasty Plus Liposculpture and BBL (if wanted or needed)"  : separation (Diastasis) of your abdominal muscles , excess abdominal skin and fat deposits in your body contour. So the procedure mentioned is the one design to correct this 3 conditions it involves : the tightening of the abdominal muscles wall, the removal of the excess skin and the liposuction of the fat deposits to harmonize  the new body contour. If wanted fat can be used in buttocks or any depression in the skin in need of a  filler. Good Luck.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Best way to Fix a "Mommy Tummy"

Nothing beats a face to face examination but your photos suggest that you have both excess fat under the skin as well as laxity of the tummy muscles - three pregnancies would definitely do it to you. 
Liposuction would remove the fat excess and may bring about a small tightening of the skin but would not suck in the loosened and stretched muscles. The only way this can be done is with a Full Tummy Tuck.  
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN