I had a breast implant exchange for a larger size yesterday and now I'm experiencing feverish breasts. Is it normal? (Photo)

Had post op this morning and have been feeling relatively well besides extreme sensitivity around incision site, though doc said they looked great. As day progressed by breasts have become warm and feverish. The top pic was from earlier today and bottom from this evening. Should I be concerned?

Feverish breasts

Redness is not unusual after augmentation. However you should let your surgeon know immediately in case you do justify antibiotics.

Redness after breast implants

Symmetric redness like I see in the photo, in my experience is more likely a drug rash or sensitivity to the prep than cellulitis. Only your plastic surgeon can asses this and recommend a course of action if one is necessary. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Red Breasts after Implant Exchange

Thank you for your picture.  I can appreciate some redness of your breasts.  This is something your surgeon needs to know so that he or she may evaluate you as soon as possible

Redness after a breast implant exchange

Very difficult to tell from your photographs but if there has been a recent change then you should contact your plastic surgeon as soon as possible.  

Implant Switching To Larger Yesterday, Breasts Are Hot & Red Today - Is This Normal?

In our culture, redness and temperature elevation normally mean infection, and therefore it is imperative that you alert your plastic surgeon to this situation immediately. 

That being said, wound healing oftentimes draws blood to an area which increases its redness and also its temperature elevation.  Clearing the breakdown products in any wound healing is accomplished by white blood cells releasing their enzymatic packets as they do in an infection, but here the same redness, swelling and temperature elevation are related to inflammation, and probably not infection.

Increasing the size of one's implants requires the body to start to make more skin to cover the new, larger implants.  This process of creating more skin requires oxygen brought to it by red blood cells which will increase redness, and as I already said, temperature elevation is common in the first few post operative days due to wound healing.

Obviously, only an in person physical examination can determine the difference between an infection and inflammation, and the man or woman to do that is, of course, your personal plastic surgeon.

Implant infection?

If you have redness and fever, then you need to be seen by your surgeon. Best of luck with you results.

Red warm breasts after an augmentation

Your description and photos are very troubling. You need to contact your surgeon immediately. You may have early signs of an infection. Do you have a fever? Are your breasts hurting more and more?

if an infection is discovered early, it can sometimes be corrected with aggressive antibiotic treatment. You may need intravenous antibiotics. 

Infections us around a breast implant also increase your odds of having a capsular contraction down the road. 

Julian Gordon, MD

I had a breast implant exchange for a larger size yesterday and now I'm experiencing feverish breasts. Is it normal?

You need to call your surgeon TODAY! The risks of infection by your description is quite concerning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fever after procedure, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, after performing a breast implant exchange I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. About the fever I recommend you to talk with your plastic surgeon and follow his advices as soon as possible.

Respectfully, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

If you have concerns and are feeling warm and feverish, you need to contact your surgeon immediately.  Online consultants will not be able to assist you.