Cleaning incisions after BR?

My PS said I can shower after 48hrs after surgery then apply ointment and gauze. How often should I bathe/change bandages?

Incision Care & Cleaning Post Op

There are a wide range of wound care instructions that vary from surgeon to surgeon including post-op surgical tape, Dermabond (or other surgical glues), tension reducing strips and more.  Even a single surgeon may have several preferred ways of managing incisions post-op that are customized for each individual patient.  I recommend following up with your surgeon for your best specific instructions so that you don’t cause damage or impair your healing process.

Ask your surgeon

Your surgeon knows exactly what was done during your procedure.  Your surgeon also knows how you are responding. The answers you receive from your surgeon are customized to you and the exact procedure you had.  Any answer you receive from us is general in nature.  Please ask your surgeon for specific instructions.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction instructions

You should speak directly with your surgeon's office and find out the instructions that they specifically want you to follow.

Cleaning incisions after a breast reduction

I advise my patients not to soak in a bathtub for at least three weeks, but they may shower and change their dressings daily starting the day after surgery. However, it's always best to follow your surgeon's advice. Hope this helps and good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon