Why did my surgeon choose this size? (Photo)

I'm 52 yrs, 5'2", 110lbs small boned, petite frame. I was a 32AA and had very little dense breast tissue. I think my width was 11.5. I wanted around 350cc silicone implants. My ps gave me 295cc allergen round high profile under muscle. I'm devastated! I look no different now than I did with a padded bra before. No one can even tell I got them done. I'm 1 week out now. Can I get them redone to the size I wanted? How long would I have to wait to get redone?

Choosing Implant Size

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. 

Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Why did my surgeon choose this size?

You received 295cc implants but are upset that you did not received 350cc implants. 55cc is less than 4 tablespoons. Do yourself this test: put 4 tablespoons of water in a drinking glass and try to imagine how much "larger" your breasts would be if you had received the implants you wanted.   

My point is this--if you feel too small now (it is a bit early, but you know that, and the answer to the second part of your question comes next) with 295cc implants, you almost certainly would feel too small with 350cc implants. After all, that's only 4 tablespoons larger, and I don't believe you would see that difference at all if you had a magic wand switch your implants from 295cc to 350cc. 

You should wait a minimum of 3 months (and 6 months would be better), see how you feel about your size, and then understand that to make a visible change you will likely need closer to 100cc more than your 295cc implants, and that your anatomy may not have been capable of accommodating that size initially. If you wait until your tissues soften and stretch for a full 6 months (or longer), then you might well be able to accept the size of implants you desire (not 350cc, but larger).

You are petite, but can indeed have larger breasts if you wish . . . and are patient. Talk to your surgeon, and understand s/he did what was thought to be best (or anatomically possible) at the time. Better is available for you. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast size.

I tell people to wait between 6 months and a year. sorry you are disappointed. it happens sometimes..

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Why did my surgeon choose this size?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery; as you may know, it is too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed. Ultimately, only your plastic surgeon will be able to tell you about his/her rationale behind the choice of breast implant size/profile.

Some general thoughts may be helpful to you: every patient undergoing breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomic starting point will limit the outcome of breast augmentation surgery.    In other words, a patient's starting anatomy will limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. The use of a larger breast implant(than what is safely "allowed" by the patient's anatomy) can be problematic;  potential problems include breast implant displacement/malpostion issues ( such as bottoming out, lateral displacement, symmastia...)  and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability. I emphasize, to every patient undergoing breast of patient surgery, that safety and avoidance of complications should be everyone's first priority. Sometimes, when a patient wishes to achieve a relatively large outcome, more than a single stage operation is necessary to safely do so.

Whether or not it will be possible to increase breast size further will depend on your physical examination: this is best assessed approximately six months after the initial breast augmentation procedure. Best wishes.