Extended Tummy Tuck or Traditional Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Im currently interesed in a getting a Tummy Tuck. I got a quote back from one Surgeon that indicates I need an extended Tummy Tuck, I have attached pictures?? I dont know the differnce in the two besides the lenght of the scar. The scar is my biggest fear also. Looking at my pictures, what do you think?

Extended Tummy Tuck or Traditional Tummy Tuck?

Some of these operation names do not have clear and universally accepted definitions, so I too am not sure what the consultant meant by extended TT. Some use the term when there is a vertical incision in addition to the horizontal one. Some use it when the incision is carried further around the back requiring a position change during surgery. Others use the term when they are adding flank liposuction to a TT.

Based on photos alone, my inclination would be to suggest a standard TT, but that might not be the case based on an actual exam and review of your specific goals.  

Tummy Tuck Incisions

Hello. Based on your photos it looks like you would be a candidate for a fairly straight forward standard tummy tuck.  Ask your plastic surgeon to explain to you the difference between what they consider extended and standard and ask them to show you exactly where the scar would be. You are certainly at higher risk for scar formation and good scar prevention should be part of your post-operative care. Good luck!

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Extended vs. Full Tummy Tuck

I would recommend a full tummy tuck for you. Here is how I describe each option.

When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1. The amount of loose skin

2. The volume of fatty tissue

3. The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:

1. Upper Abdomen

2. Area around the Belly Button

3. Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck. In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button. I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK: this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen. This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision. I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.

EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK: This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area. I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY: this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Extended Tummy tuck ??

There    is  not   a term for    plastic   surgeons  as  extended   TT.  IN obese   patients   who present  laxity  all  around  their  body  there  is   an extended   incision   called circunferential  abdominoplasty,   BUt  this   is  another   type  of  bodies ,  most  all the   times   in patients    who  had lost    weight ( 100  pounds) specificly  postbariatric  patients. Your   body   from   what   we  see  on the  pictures   is  a  normal   body    with   some   extra   skin  and  abdominal   laxity that  requires   a  traditional   full   TT,   (  with muscle   repair )  You   should  not  have   an extended scar  more than  the  traditional    insicion    and  maybe it  can  be  perform    shorter    than the standard 

Cynthia Disla, MD

Based on your pictures you need a traditional Tummy Tuck with liposuction, you are not a candidate for extended Tummy Tuck. Get a consultation with a good doctor that perform theses surgeries everyday.

Walkiris Robles, MD

Extended tummy tuck or traditional

Based on your photos you definitely do not need an extended tummy tuck. However , that depends on what "extended " means to that surgeon. My recommendation would be to do a lipoabominoplasty ( Saldanha technique) with ultrasomic assisted lipocontouring of your hip/flank area in the back. This would give you a scar in your lower abdomen in the front close to where a C section scar would be and would not wrap around your hip.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Extended or regular TT

Hi. Thank you for the excellent question. As you say the essential difference is the extent of the scat. Having looked at your pictures I believe a standard TT ( from hip to hip ) in conjunction with liposuction should give you an excellent result. Good luck.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Conventional tummy tuck is the best choice in my opinion.

I think you'll do fine with a conventional abdominoplasty. You might want to consider liposuction of the waist area done concurrently. I don't think the extra scar from the extended abdominoplasty is necessary.

In the extended tummy tuck, the incision (scar) extends beyond the waist (to the beginning of the lower back but kept low) to excise the excess hanging skin along the waist line. This is the only way the surgeon can cut out the excess hanging skin along the waist. The excess hanging skin and fat along waist must to be excised; otherwise, after a standard tummy tuck, it will look exaggerated. In order to determine how much excess skin you have along the waist line, you need sit down on a chair with an underwear that has a string going along the waist. If you have a roll of skin that hangs over the string along the waist when sitting, you will benefit from an extended tummy tuck. However, you must accept a longer scar if you choose the extended tummy tuck. 

B. Kalantarian, MD

Types of abdominoplasty incisions

You are a candidate for an abdominoplasty. When you are in the sitting position place your hands under the skin apron. Follow this out laterally until it tapers off. This will give you an idea of the length of the incision necessary for your abdominoplasty. Your plastic surgeon, during an examination, will be able to advise you on the length of the incision needed to give you a full correction.