What is this white scaly thing sticking out of my tummy tuck incision? (Photos)

I performed a tummy tuck and liposuction on my abdomen sides. I recently travelled on a approximately 17 hour flight, everything looks OK except for this white patchy thing. Should I consult a local PS here in Arizona? Also, is it normal for there to be a massive amount of swelling (granted it's much less when I wake up) 6 weeks post op? The doc told me my stomach won't be 100% flat, and there was a hip abdomen mismatch (something like that, don't remember his exact words)?

Healing from tummy tuck

Definitely contact your surgeon. It could be a seroma that requires drainage. The white areas could either be exposed internal staples that naturally degrade or superficial skin breakdown. See your surgeon quickly. 

What is this white scaly thing sticking out of my tummy tuck incision?

You have an area of delayed wound healing that appears will heal well on its own over time. I would show it to your surgeon just so they know. I don not feel it will be a problem from the picture you show here. It should heal well as long as you do not have other comorbidities like smoking or diabetes. It may be delayed in healing in those cases. Swelling can take several months to go down and depending on the thickness of you abdominal wall skin certainly it is reasonable that you may not be flat. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty/ Reverse Tummy Tuck/ Liposuction/Muscle Plication/ Fleur de lis Abdominoplasty

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  If you are unable to schedule a Skype follow up with your surgeon, it would be a very good idea to ask him/her to refer you to someone locally to best manage your post op care.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

"Hip Mismatch" after a tummy tuck

One thing we like to do with a tummy tuck is thin the flap (the tissue above the incision).  This give a smooth flat contour.  

The white area seems like an area that isn't healing.  Make sure you visit your doctor.
Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Have a check

It looks like you are developing a small wound separation that should be covered with antibiotic ointment.
You can still develop serious complications during your recovery and you are not out of the woods yet.
Seeing a local PS is an excellent idea.