It has been 6 weeks and my crowns still hurt. Is this normal?

I did not have insurance and it was not cheap, am I allowed a partial refund to see another dentist? 6 years ago I had a crown and never felt anything. What if the dentist says there is nothing he can do? I don't even want to back to him but I will be civil and polite when I do.

Pain with permanent #crowns #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
My advice for you would be to return to your dentist for an evaluation. It's not uncommon to experience some discomfort after having a tooth prepped for a crown. I usually recommend allowing 2 weeks after crown placement for your tooth/teeth to heal. A simple adjustment may be all you need. However, if you are still experiencing the same symptoms after having your bite adjusted, root canal treatment may be necessary. Often times, the worst thing to do is to cut off the lines of communication with your dentist because you are upset. Usually, the cheapest route is to return to the dentist who placed your crowns, so he can fix the issue. Once you go to another dentist, you are probably going to end up paying to have the work redone or to have additional procedures done and you are unlikely to get a refund from the first dentist. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100