From the top of my cheek bones to my chin, I measure almost an inch of cheek fat with calipers. Coolsculpting possible? (photos)

I am 64 years old and pretty close to my suggested weight. Is body cool sculpting appropriate for the face?

CoolSculpting for facial cheek fat

Thank you for the question, and your photos.  CoolSculpting has an attachment that is appropriate for the area under the chin.  It is not approved for use on the face.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Otolaryngologist, (ENT) to evaluate what your options might be.

CoolSculpting is not for the cheeks

Thank you for the question. No, CoolSculpting shouldn't be done on the face. If you are looking for an alternative to an invasive face lift, you have choices. First is Ultherapy. We combine this treatment with ThermiSmooth. Ultherapy is focused ultrasound energy. It penetrates to the deeper layers of the skin to stimulate collagen production. ThermiSmooth uses radio frequency to tighten skin and stimulate collagen production. Both treatments are scheduled on the same day and there is virtually no down time. Second is Silhouette Instalift. This is a new procedure that places fine absorbable threads beneath the skin to provide lift. Silhouette Instalift is also a collagen builder. Good luck.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting on the face

Coolsculpting can only be used on to remove submental fat.  I would recommend seeing a facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options to improve your facial contours. 

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting can be done for the submental fat which is the area under the chin ( double chins). The applicator does not fit appropriately on the face. Cheek fat can be removed with buccal liposuction. Your pictures do not reveal an issue that fat removal needs to be addressed, you may benefit more from a skin tightening /lifting/facelift type of treatment

Drew Varano, MD
Washington DC Internist

Coolsculpting on the cheeks

The cheeks really can't be treated with Coolsculpting. Fat in the cheeks can be removed (buccal fat removal), but it doesn't usually cause a huge external change. If buccal fat is herniated (low in the cheek), that fat can be removed (usually during a deep plane facelift for most "older" patients) and that can definitely help the lower cheek fullness. Your cheek thickness is completely normal. Overall, I think you would benefit from a lower facelift. You don't appear to have a "fat" face and you certainly don't have overly full cheeks. Lifting the jowls and neck can improve the appearance of the lower face and give you the illusion of thinner cheeks since the lower face will appear narrower.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

The area you are worried about can't be treated with Coolsculpting.  Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Jowls must be pulled up!

You need a facelift to address the jowling that you are pointing out. You should choose a plastic surgeon who performs facelifts weekly. Please see natural and permanent correction of jowling below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Can CoolSculpting be done on the face?

Hello mama_soozee,

Thank you for your question and photos. The very short answer is NO. CoolSculpting was not designed for and should not be used as you are suggesting. CoolSculpting is indicated for treating the fat just under the chin but that is all. I would proceed for an in person evaluation with a plastic surgeon to evaluate the full gamut of choices to accomplish your desires. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Facial Contour with liposuction, ultherapy, thermage and Sculptra

No, Coolsculpting can't be done to this area. Liposuction or fat pad removal (buccal) can be done along with skin tightening with ultherapy/thermage and Sculptra for collagen building. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Cheek bones?

No. This is not what this was designed for.  Most of what you are pinching is not necessarily fat.  Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon