Liposuction, current weight 230, what will be a realistic result after the lipo?

I am 35, male, and I workout hard... I weight lift, did the insanity workouts, etc... I dropped from 240 to 200 then I balanced off at 210... A few month back I hurt my shoulder and I had to stop exercising which brought me up to 230. Stomach, flank/ abs, chest is where it stays and grows/ shrinks. I have decided to get lipo in these areas because no matter how hard I push they never go away... After I do the lipo surgery what realistic weight am I looking at? How much fat does lipo take away?

We would need to know your height to give a full answer, but in general you need to understand liposuction is not a weight loss operation and you would not expect to see any significant weight loss from the procedure.

Weight loss after liposuction

Liposuction is a body contouring procedure. Patients actually lose very little weight, only several pounds, as a consequence, even with significant improvement in appearance.

Liposuction

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately it's difficult to give recommendations without a photo or in person consultation. Generally speaking, liposuction is a great option for people who work out and eat healthy as it can remove stubborn fat. That said, liposuction is not a weight loss operation, but rather a contouring and shaping procedure. You'll need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Results after lipo

Thank you for your question.  Congrats on your recent weight loss and increase in healthy lifestyle.  Liposuction will help contour your stomach, flanks and chest, but you shouldn't expect much change on the scale.  You will lose inches, not pounds.  How much fat removed is determined by how much you have in those areas and by your plastic surgeon to achieve an aesthetic outcome.  Over-suctioning fat can leave the area lumpy or bumpy which is undesirable. 
Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Hi. Liposuction is not meant as a weight reduction procedure. Rather, it is considered a contouring procedure. Therefore, do not expect any significant weight change following lipo. Good luck, Dr. PG

From just a description of your weight alone, it is difficult to say what you could expect from a liposuction procedure or whether you are a reasonable candidate for this surgery.  I would first check with your primary care physician and have them to a complete physical exam.  Also, the more you can reduce your weight prior to the surgery the better and safer the procedure will be.  Ask your plastic surgeon to show you before and after photos of patients similar to yourself.  This should give you a good idea as to what you may expect.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What to expect from liposuction of a male's trunk

Your results really depend on your physical exam and how much of your fat is superficial to your a trunk's muscular wall and how much is deep.  Only the superficial fat is amenable to change with liposuction. Let a plastic surgeon exam you and give you an educated opinion.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Hello, thanks for your inquiry. It would be better if you have some images to provide you a better assessment, or even better to have an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Liposuction is an aid to get rid of stubborn fatty areas which exercise and dieting don't work. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results

As others have stated on this post, liposuction is not a weight loss surgery. It is designed to removed problem areas of fat that anatomically lies just below the skin. Everybody is different in how they deposit fat and how much of the fat is in the layer that can be treated with liposuction. This can only be determined with an exam where a plastic surgeon goes over your problem areas with you and can then estimate how much of the fat can be removed with liposuction.

I would recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing liposuction.

Best Regards,
Dr. Ross Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

Weight-loss after liposuction

Do not expect any substantial weight loss from liposuction.

This procedure is more about obtaining definition and removing particular deposits of fat the key people from looking their best.

unless someone can maintain their weight patients often maintain their same weight after the procedure even with fat removal.
Wait or BMI is not a good indicator if someone is a good candidate for liposuction.

Fat distribution is far more important.

Skin laxity often gets in the way of getting good results and making accurate assessments when it comes to liposuction.

This is especially true in regards men's chests.

Men who are overweight also at times carry excessive amounts of intra-abdominal fat which cannot be removed surgically.

An in person consultation is by far the most accurate way of getting an assessment to see if you may be a good candidate for what type of results you could obtain.

You could also post pictures on RealSelf.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD