What kind of procedures will I need to go from my 36 F to a B-ish? (Photo)

Hello! I was just curious about what kind of procedures I need to look into to get the results I want. I'm currently 23 and at 185lb, 5'6". I've been in the process of loosing weight and gaining muscle and it feels like my breasts are deflating, to the point that they fold over in my current cups. (I will be refitting for new bras soon). I'm looking to be fairly small breast wise, and I'm not afraid of scaring. What would you recommend I look into so I can start planning?

Breast lift and reduction

Thank you for the question and photo.  A breast lift and breast reduction would be the ideal procedure for you to reduce the size of your breast, reshape your breast shape, and improve the symmetry of your breasts.  There are a few breast lift/reduction procedures.  The ideal one for you will be determined by what you are trying to accomplish and the plastic surgeon that you end up going to.   I would take a look at before and after photos to decide which plastic surgeon you are inclined to go to.

Dr. Remus Repta

Smaller perkier breasts

are possible with an aggressive reduction (or mastopexy if paying out of pocket for this that would include a reduction) using your own tissue to help 'augment' the upper pole of your reduced breast.  A standard reduction will leave your upper poles woefully concave.  Make sure  your surgeon understands this before having this procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast reduction surgery candidate…

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your successful weight loss thus far. Based on your description of goals and pictures, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. (Based on your photographs, the operation performed will likely be breast lifting and a relatively small breast reduction procedure?).

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Wishing to go from a 36 F cup to a 36 B-C cup?

Thank you for your photos and question.  You appear to be very droopy but frankly not that out of proportion to the dimensions of your hips and shoulders at your present size.  I would discuss with you a full mastopexy with an anchor incision pattern combined with minor breast reduction to improve symmetry and decrease your size only mildly.  At your young age going too small may be a mistake that you regret in the future.  Back pain and shoulder and neck pain seem to be dramatically improved by lifting breasts as much in my experience as from reducing them (in case you have the symptoms).  Good luck and best wishes. Be certain to meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Reduction

You appear to be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  This is a reconstructive and cosmetic surgery that can address every aspect of the breast, from its size, shape, nipple position, and areolar size. It can create smaller, tighter, lifted, and more symmetrical breasts.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic surgery of the breast. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Lift

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos you look like a good candidate for a breast lift or breast reduction. I think your goal of being a B cup may be too small. With a breast reduction you have to balance what you take away with what you leave behind. If you remove too much breast tissue then you risk the blood supply to the nipple. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and they will be able to help you. 

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon