24 hours after lipo; while lying down should I elevate my lower body? (Photos)

It is 24 hours after lipo, I had my chest, stomach, and abs done, I had around 500 CC removed (I think)... I am bruised in my lower abdomen area and it is difficult for me to get up from a lying in bed (I assume the swelling is to play a part)... I am taking everything prescribed by my doctor... Question is, while lying down should I elevate my lower body? Should I also add ice packs to the area? Any other methods to help lower the swelling and speed up recovery?

Recovery Tips after Liposuction

Hi Sean,Thanks for your question and photos. It seems based on the photo that if that was your fat it was more than 500cc's. If that amount is correct then 500cc's is not a lot of fat. To help recovery, I recommend ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off and repeat as tolerated to help with swelling and heat in the same fashion to help with bruising. I recommend arnica as herb that helps with swelling. I also recommend high frequency ultrasound and lymphatic massage to help get the swelling down. If a lot of fat is removed during surgery, I sometimes place drains to help get some of the fluid out without forcing your body to absorb it. I also allow ibuprofen to help with the bodies inflammatory response. But please check with your plastic surgeon for his or her recommendations!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#recovery #liposuction

Lower Body Elevation After Lipo?

Dear seansobey, I do not recommend lower body elevation after liposuction. I'm also not a fan of icing or heating pads. In my practice, the compression garments with padding is sufficient, especially with a small fat removal...only 500cc chest and abdomen. You should however ask your surgeon for their preferences. Good luck. Dr. Gervais. 

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - what can be done to speed recovery?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • It sounds as though everything is going as expected.
  • It is wise to have your own surgeon answer your questions.
  • For instance, some surgeons want ice packs used, some don't and some let patients decide.
  • In bed, it is helpful to keep a pillow under your knees to avoid strain on your back.
  • Being up and around as much as possible will help your healing.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen can drastically reduce swelling. Compression is also essential for post liposuction healing. I do not have my patients use heat or ice to reduce swelling, but I would discuss this with your physician as post op protocol will vary. Best, Dr. Emer 

24 hours after lipo; while lying down should I elevate my lower body?

Thank you for your question. In general I do not recommend icing or heat pads after lipo. As the area is numb they can hurt without realizing. Important thing is wear the compression and follow the instructions from your physician. Hope this helps.

24 hours after lipo should I elevate my lower body?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your liposuction.  As the procedure was done exclusively to your lower body there is not a need to keep your lower body elevated.  Some physicians allow use of ice packs to help minimize swelling but as the skin of your chest may be numb temporarily you must be careful and have the ice pack wrapped in another garment to help avoid tissue damage. Speak to your surgeon about their recommended use of cold packs.  To speed healing limit your salt intake, continue to use a compression garment/vest and ambulate frequently.  You will see steady improvement over the first 6-8 weeks of recovery. Hope this helps.