How can I get rid of crepey under eyes?

I had my upper and lower eyelids done last year and my under eyes are so crepey. What can be done about that.

Wrinkeled skin under the eyes

Hello and thanks for your question.

Generally speaking, most of the improvement you are requesting are reasonable and possible with either fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing or a combination of eyelid and laser procedures.  

Botox, filler or chemical peel also can help a great deal.

I would highly recommend visiting a few plastic surgeons who specialize in this exacting and artistic procedure. In our office we provide patients with a personalized, individualized and complementary consultation to address these similar issues.

Dr. Sajjadian 

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Crepey lower eyelid skin is treated with either Erbium laser resurfacing or Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing

Crepey lower eyelid skin is treated with either Erbium  laser resurfacing or Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing. This improves the skin quality and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.  The downtime in this region is minimal due to a different type of skin in this region as opposed to other regions of the face for laser resurfacing.  In addition, in the right individual it actual firms up the lower eyelid skin like a "girdle" and helps " tuck in" the eye bags as well. 

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractionated CO2 Laser Resurfacing for Lower Lids

It is difficult to accurately assess your concerns without photos.  Typically crepey under eye skin is effectively treated with fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing.  The resurfacing allows a degree of skin tightening at the lower lids, while helping to improve fine lines and wrinkles.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey under eyes

There are usually one of two reasons for crepey skin under the eyes. One is too much skin. This can be treated with a pinch excision of the excess skin. This procedure can be performed in the office, sutures are removed in 3-5 days, and the scar becomes nearly invisible. The second reason for crepey skin under the eyes is simply poor skin quality with a lack of elasticity. In this case, a laser is the answer, preferably an Erbium laser. This will smooth and tighten the skin while minimizing downtime and risk.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Facial Rejuvenation SpecialistQuintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting rid of crepey under eye area

Hi ivygirl,I believe that laser resurfacing is one of the best ways to reduce the crepiness of the skin of the lower lid. We use an Erbium YAG laser by Sciton and have had great success with this technique. It is usually one to two weeks of downtime followed by a period of redness / pink skin that can be covered with makeup. Other resurfacing techniques like chemical peels can also work but are not as precise. Skin pinching or skin removal techniques are also possible but can lead to problems with the lower lid position if not done carefully and do nothing to increase the quality of the remaining skin that is not excised.
I hope that helps and have a nice day.Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crepey Skin Under the Eyes

Creepy skin under the eyes is traditionally a difficult area to address.  However, there are several options to help improve this area, including state of the art non-invasion technology to help smoothen out that area.  Other options include laser, peels, and surgery, but many patient will opt for the non-invasive treatment that can be done with little to no downtime.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Crepey skin under the eyes

Upper and lower eyelid surgery can take care of excess lax skin. The remaining skin that appears crepey in the lower eyelid is due to thinning of the skin with effects from cumulative sun damage over the years. The skin needs to be tightened and this can be done by skin resurfacing using chemical peels or fractional ablative lasers. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Crepey skin

Crepey skin quality around the eyes would likely be best with a resurfacing procedure such as CO2 laser or a phenol-based peel.  One must have good support to the lids in order to minimize complications.  You would do well to consult with a facial plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, general plastic surgeon, or a dermatologist who does lots of cosmetic treatments and resurfacing about your goals.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing or Dermal Fillers

Hi Ivy, It's hard to say without photos, but given that you have had eyelid surgery so recently, there are other alternatives including injections and laser resurfacing for eye rejuvenation.  If it's specifically related to crepiness, we often improve this with Scition Profractional laser resurfacing using coagulation mode to tighten the skin and if it's related to volume loss, we will add Restylane after the resurfacing.To see a recent example in our Orange, CA office, please click on the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

How can I get rid of crepey skin under eyes?

As you have already discovered surgery removes extra skin but does not change the texture of the skin that is left behind. Depends on the degree of wrinkles and how aggressive you want to be. They range from light peels to ablative CO2 laser. Please see linked examples

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon