I'm 46. I had a temporal lift, bleph top lids lower face lift, and mesh chin augmentation. What can I do to speed up healing?

My Left Lip Is Still Numb. My Smile is Crooked and When I Laugh my left side looks Funky. My PS reassures me this is normal. Is their anything. Facial Exercises I can Do to Speed up This Healing? I'm Super Healthy just want my Teeth smile Back

Vitamin Supplementation for Post Op

I suggest to my patients beginning #supplements such as #bromelain or #arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your #recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment. 

Numbness and weakness after facelift

After facelift surgery there may be some temporary weakness and numbness to these areas around the mouth.  Ask your plastic surgeon how long he expects this may persist and see him/her at that timeline if it has not resolved. 

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Facial Surgery Recovery Protocol

Here is a list of “Do’s and Don’ts” in my opinion I would advice from my patients:

• Do use a cool pack on the incisions as this will help reduce any residual fullness.
  • Do continue with painkillers if required, as around 5% of patients will have some ear pain which will settle within a week or two.
  • Do shower and hair wash daily.
  • Do resume normal activities however avoid vigorous exercise or heavy lifting for 2 weeks post procedure.
  • Don’t apply any make up, moisturiser or oils to the incision line until advised by us.
  • Don’t allow pets of any variety to share a bed with you and avoid allowing pets near your face for the first four weeks after your procedure. Allowing pets near your face has the potential to result in an infection. However being vigilant will help reduce this risk.
  • Do be vigilant with hand hygiene.
  • Do notify us immediately if you have any concerns or notice any increased redness, heat around the incision or if you have any discharge from around the ear.
Once you have seen your plastic surgeon for your follow up, they may advise on when you can start massaging the incision areas and the best technique to use.  They may recommend the use of scar improvement oils such as Bio-oil.

All the Best with your recovery!

Post Operative Healing

How many days post-op are you? I suggest continuing to follow your physicians post-operative protocol and consult with him or her for any concerns.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Concerns with Numbness after Chin Augmentation

Dear Seleste21, From your other question I just answered I see that you are two months post surgery and this would concern me that you have some pressure that is effecting a nerve from the chin implant. Two months post chin augmentation you should not have continued numbness and weakness to your smile. See your surgeon and further discuss your concerns or seek a secondary opinion. I would most likely consider removing the implant and possibly changing the style and size you do not want to have any permanent damage to the nerves in this area. As far as your other procedures continue on your surgeons medical post-operative advice for healing. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Faster Recovery after surgery.

A speedy recovery is one without complications or issues. 

The typical common sense rules apply: drink plenty of water, eat healthy, no heavy lifting or strenuous exercise, and avoid the sun. 

The best thing to do is follow your post-operative instructions and keep all of your follow-up appointments with your surgeon. If anything out of the ordinary arises, bring it to your surgeon's attention as early as possible. A safe recovery is a speedy one. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Takes time

For now you are in very, very early recovery.
Best to rest and take it easy for the next few days.
Don't want to stir up any bleeding.