Breast Lift and Augmentation volume difference; what do I do? (Photos)

After 5 kids and extreme weightloss my breasts had become tube socks! I had 225cc high profile silicone unders. The asymmetry is becoming more noticeable as time passes. My breasts are similar profile-wise, but the difference in width bothers me. No side boob! And I've learned high profiles will only lessen in diameter as the volume is increased. What would you do? Overall I am happy considering where I started. I just wanted to reach out for other opinions. Thanks so much!

Assymetry following breast surgery

Looking at your pre and post op photos, you seem you have had a very nice result. You do seem to have assymetry in breast base diameter in your pre op photos and this has continued post op, but you do have a good shape to your breasts following the procedure. Well over 90% of women have some degree of natural assymetry between their breasts and your's is not bad at all...! 

Volume Difference

Based on your before and after photos, you appear to have a nice result.  Give yourself 6 months before considering revision surgery.  It may not be needed.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast assymmetry

We are all asymmetric to one degree or another. Trying to correct this can be challenging. You have a good result from the photographs you have provided.  It's also important to understand that you're still very early after your surgery and changes can occur during the healing process.  Healing can take 9 to 12 months before you see your final result.  If you can be patient during this time then more accurate answers can be given to any questions you have at full maturation.  

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

BA & Lift, Volume Difference

Thanks for your question! Looking at your photos, you appear to have a very nice result, including your tummy tuck! 

225cc is a very conservative implant volume, especially for HP, although maybe appropriate for your height & weight (which I don't think that you stated). Here in Texas, what has served me well in doing over 1,000 breast augmentation/lift combinations, is this general rule of thumb: if between 200-300cc go moderate profile. If >300cc, go high profile. This will give you an appropriate base width for your chest in my opinion. But of course you should discuss this with your own plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you! 

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Dealing with asymmetry after surgery

Hi  and thank you for the question. Based on the photos you sent, you had two different size breast to start with. One breast is not only smaller, but appears narrower. This asymmetry is also seen in your postop photos. I always inform my patients that every patient starts off  with some asymmetry, and will end with some asymmetry. Nobody ever ends up with perfectly symmetrical press. I think overall your result is good. One thing you could consider is to swap out the implant on the smaller side for a larger implant, possibly switching to a moderate profile to take advantage of the width.  This is something your surgeon should easily be able to address with you. Just make sure you express your concerns during your next postoperative visit. Good luck to you. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Recurrent sagging and asymmetry after breast lift with implants

You have what I would consider a nice result. To get an aesthetically pleasing result with this procedure is challenging at best, especially in the long term. The asymmetry is acceptable. It will be difficult to make the breasts look exactly the same.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Augmentation volume difference; what do I do?

Thank you for your question. On the basis of your photos, I would say that you have achieved an excellent cosmetic result. 225 cc is a fairly conservative size implant, a good choice in order to try to reduce the risk of recurrence of the laxity. It would be possible to increase the width of the breasts (what you have called "side boobs") by using either significantly larger high profile implants or by using a moderately projected implant, sacrificing some degree of projection. I would advice you to wait until your breasts have completely settled and then consider your options.

All the best

Andrea Marando

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon 

Manchester, UK

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

It appears to me from your photographs, that you started out with more breast tissue on the left than on the right. Not surprisingly, if no breast tissue was removed from the left and the same size implants placed on each side that there would be some remaining asymmetry. It may also be more swollen if a more extensive separation of the tissues was necessary in order to remove some breast tissue to better obtain symmetry. That's a question to ask your plastic surgeon. I have had good experience with the smaller amounts of asymmetries being corrected several months later with fat grafting to the smaller breast. So far your result looks fine to me. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would suggest that you give yourself about six months before evaluating the final outcome of the procedure performed. Then, if still concerned, communicate your concerns/goals directly with your plastic surgeon. It would not be unusual to require some type of revisionary surgery after breast/lifting surgery.  Exactly what operation would be necessary will depend on your specific concerns/goals at that time.  It is likely, that with careful communications you and your plastic surgeon will arrive at a plan to achieve an outcome that you are happier with. Best wishes.