What techniques were used in this Asian rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I would like to know what the surgeon had done in the photo.

Asian rhinoplasty techniques

I don't know exactly what the surgeon did in this photo but it was probably some combination of some of the following techniques that are typically used in Asian rhinoplasty.

Number one, use your own tissue is much as possible. Cartilage from the ear or septum is best for grafting.

Number two, columellar strut grafts are almost always needed an Asian rhinoplasty to link them and knows in give the tip projection and support.

Number three, interdomal and intradomal sutures are often placed to extended tip and give it better refinement.

Number four, a shield graft made of cartilage is very often used to give the tip even more definition and length and projection.

Number five, augmenting the bridge is very often a component of Asian rhinoplasty and is best performed with cartilage when possible. I do feel the bridge is often times augmented too much in Asian rhinoplasty and I preferred to be conservative in this area.  Occasionally in thick-skinned silicone implants only for the bridge (not near the tip) work well.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty, cartilage and large tip

Hello and thanks for your question.

I prefer using only your own tissues to reconstruct and create a natural looking nose.

Given that the nose and face are three dimensional structures, a complete array of photographs in frontal, 45 degrees and 90 degrees’ profile angle as well as base view are needed to assess the existing anatomy.

Nasal tip-plasty is a procedure that is used to narrow the tip of the nose. This is done with cartilage reshaping techniques. Often, a combination of grafts and suture may need to be used to create favorable shape and outcome.

Reshaping of the bones can be done with a combination of modifying the bone and the bridge with a variety of bone reshaping tools. Piezoelectric or ultrasonic devices or other filing or reshaping instruments can be used.

I would highly recommend visiting a few plastic surgeons who specialize in this exacting and artistic procedure. In our office we provide patients with a personalized, individualized and complementary consultation to address these similar issues.

For more information and many before and after examples please see the link below.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr. Sajjadian

Triple Certified Plastic Surgeon

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Asian rhino

very hard to tell just looking at these views but all ai can say is that alar bases/nostrils have been reduced and tip projection increase with some sort of graft

Alar base reduction

This is conjecture but the likelihood is that the surgeon reduced the nostrils and alar flaring by removing a portion of the nostril sill and alar base. Multiple cartilage grafts were also used in the midline to refine the tip and increase tip projection. 

He performed an open rhinoplasty with alar base resection. Go visit a few surgeons expert in rhinooplasty.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty techniques

Alar reduction was certainly performed, however beyond that, it is impossible to know what technique was used for the nasal tip and the rest of the nose from the worm's eye view only. All you can tell is that the nasal tip is taller and more refined from an open rhinoplasty procedure. There are numerous ways to accomplish this and that would depend on the surgeon's experience and preference. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

It is probably best to ask the surgeon who performed the procedure the specific maneuvers that they did in order to accomplish the goals.  There are 100s of techniques, so the surgeon would be just guessing as to what was done