Technically, can ANYONE explain to me why we have to wait 6 months to see the results We want in Gynecomastia surgery?

Technical explanation for Gynecomastia post-surgery. Greetings! I'm a little concern about don't know why technically post-surgery of gynecomastia is like this. Why we have to wait 6 or 12 months to see real results? For me, this surgery was expensive and I'm not agreed about that kind of comments. Technically, can ANYONE explain to me why we have to wait 6 months to see the results We want in Gynecomastia surgery? I'll appreciate!!

Technical explanation for Gynecomastia surgery

Dear Eyan Fox, the best explanation is that the body does not heal instantly. Surgery for Gynecomastia often requires liposuction (my preference is ultrasonic liposuction) and sometimes cutting to remove the residual glandular tissue. In the most severe cases it may require removal of skin and sometimes free nipple grafting when the location of the nipple needs to be modified. When you come out of surgery the difference should be obvious instantly except in cases where gynecomastia was minimal. In the minimal cases where only a little lipo is all it's needed it may be hard to tell the difference right away, you need the swelling to be gone and that may take a few months. The more extensive the surgery the more apparent the results will be immediately but also more swelling needs to be resolved and that can take several months. That's why it's said that you may need to wait 6 months to see the final results. It doesn't mean that you will only see results at 6 months. What it means is that swelling, tenderness and scarring will gradually remodel to looks it's best at 6 months. It also means that if you're not happy with your results a week after surgery there is no need to get worked up because it will change still for the months to come.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

In general you should see results immediately after the surgery but ultimately the swelling and healing can take up to a year so the final result may take a while. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Seeing the #final results can take some time as each breast commonly heal at different rates of each other. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Explanation for surgery

Explanation of the surgery, recovery and outcome is the duty of your surgeon. You said it is an expensive surgery, so you paid him/her to explain all aspects of the surgery. This is a one hour consult