What to Do About Tear Troughs on 23 Year Old?

Hi there, I am a twenty three year old female who recently developed tear troughs underneath both eyes that extend to the outside corner of both eyes approximately two months ago.

I consulted with two plastic surgeons: one suggested Juvederm Ultra Plus, and the other one said not to undergo any type of procedure due to my age and other factors (money, dependency on Juvederm, scar tissue, etc).

One surgeon also suggested I get my thyroid checked, as I have had a thyroid problem since 2004. Does that disqualify me for any type of procedure? I would like all opinions! Thank you!!

Doctor Answers 2

Restylane or Juvederm in tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Its is hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like you may have some hollowing in your lower eyelids and upper cheeks which can definitely lead to a "tired" look. I like to use Restylane in this area to smooth the eyelid-cheek junction. Not all surgeons like this procedure, so you are likely to get different opinions from different doctors. 

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 182 reviews

Fillers for tear troughs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are a candidate for tear trough fillers, and I would hae toe valuate you in person because the photo is not ideal, I would often use restylane because I think it is a gentler product to use in this area.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.