Will this tear heal?

I noticed that when I spread my labia, there was a Sharp pain where both my labia and my clitorous meet. After a closer examination, I discovered a small tear where the two labia come together and it may even extend to the very edge of the clit. There's minimal to no bleeding, but the area of the split is a deep res color and extremely sensitive. Will this heal on its own and what can I do to help it heal?

Doctor Answers 3

Labia tear

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Labia tears can occur from minor trauma from clothing rubbing or from intercourse, but they can also be due to bacterial or fungal infections, excess moisture, or excess dryness. Contact your family doctor or gynecologist if you have other unusual symptoms in the area. If not, you can help the area heal with some basic actions. First, keep the area clean by taking a sitz bath (basically soaking for 5-10 minutes in luke warm water) twice a day and after going to the bathroom. Wear loose clothing to make sure the area can "breathe". If the area is dry, then you can use a mild ointment (like A&D) to soothe the area for a few days to see if that helps. Most small wounds will heal within a few days to a week. If this persists longer than that, you may consider seeking medical attention.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Labia minora tears and labiaplasty in Los Angeles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most labial skin tears will continue to heal; however, if there is a dehiscence of skin, a labiaplasty procedure or repair may be needed. Our office specializes in labiaplasty procedures in Los Angeles.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Labial Tears Usually Heal Very Nicely

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If the tear is due to trauma/injury and it is small, then it should heal nicely with a little basic skincare and avoiding pressure/pull on the area.  However, if you are not sure why the tear developed in the first place, it is best to see your family physician or gynecologist to make sure that there is nothing else going on.  Good luck!
Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 172 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.