Advice on Using TCA Peel?

I went to a dermatologist because of acne issues, and was subscribed minocycline and retinol a but only the Minocycline was covered by insurance so I was unable to get Retin-A. I am buying 15% or 20% TCA for a face peel in hopes of fixing my now enlarged pores and minor light surface scarring. Any advice on usage, post and pre-application? I am 17 years old.

TCA Peels do better if pre-treated with Retin A

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think TCA peels are great and everyone should get them done occasionally but I would not recommend you doing them yourself. So much can go wrong if your don't know what you are doing. Retin A is a great cream to use for a few days to a week prior to the chemical peel and also about 2 weeks after the peel and from then on. Good Luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Advice on using TCA peel

My advice would be rather than purchase the solution and self-treat, have a qualified practitioner in dermatology or facial plastic surgery perform your peel to minimize the chance of problems.  Even 15% TCA peels can cause unwanted side effects (pigment problems, scarring).

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist