I think I have a vaginal skin tag but I don't know? (photos)

I am 19 years old and have always had a weird piece of skin hanging from my vagina since I became sexually active at 16. I always have to tuck it back in and never thought anything of it until recently when I have started to become embarrassed if it. What are these pieces of skin and will they go away? Do I need to get them removed somehow?

Doctor Answers 10

Appears to be a hymental tag

Hi Summergirl123,

It appears to be a hymental tag.  This is some remnant of a torn hymen.  It is thought that at puberty, an estrogen surge can create increased growth and thickening of tissue, that may on occasion protrude. If this causes any discomfort it can be excised.

San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Vaginal Skin Tags

Thank you for your questions and photographs.  Based on your photographs, you appear to have remnants of the hymenal ring or possible vaginal polyps.  They could be excised in an office procedure under local anesthesia.  You need to be examined by a board certified gynecologist or cosmetic-plastic gynecologist for a confirmation of the diagnosis and treatment recommendations.  I hope this was helpful and take care.

Best Regards,
Dr. John Serrao 

I think I have a vaginal skin tag but I don't know? (photos)

Without examining you it is difficult to be certain but those appear to be remnants of your hymen. This fits with the story of them showing up when you first became sexually active. They are very simple to remove and this is something that can be done in the office under local anaesthetic. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

You have a hymenal tag

Skin remnants from the hymen develop in all women after the first time they have intercourse. Some tags can be long and protrude through the vagina. They are harmless and can be removed quickly and effectively under local anesthesia in less than a minute.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

What is this flesht "thing" hanging out of my vagina?!

Hello "Summergirl."

That "fleshy thing" is either a hymenal skin tag (most likely) or a peri-urethral polyp (can't tell for sure from photo). In either case, these are not rare. Frequently, a segment of hymenal ring tissue becomes separated from the "....main ring..." and protrudes. My recommendation is that you be evaluated by a Gyn or Plastic Surgeon, but don't bother it if it doesn't bug you (my basic philosopathy is If it Ain't Broke Don't Fix It!). If it does bother you, removing it is an inexpensive, quick, in-office local anesthesia procedure!


Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginal tag

Hello. Thank you for submitting a photo with your question. What you have is a long hymen remnant. It likely resulted from your first sexual encounter. It can be safely removed by an experienced surgeon. Best wishes 
~Dr. Poucher 

Hymenal tag

Based on the photo and your description of this tissue of this occurring since starting sexual activity leads me to believe this is a hymenal ring tag. The hymenal ring naturally breaks during sexual intercourse and heals. Your hymenal healed but in manner that caused it to protrude, causing you discomfort. This simply can be removed by a gynecologist. Warmly, Jennifer Murphy, MD

L. Jennifer Murphy, MD
Valparaiso OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

What is this piece of skin hanging from my vagina?

Dear Summergirl123,

What you have is a piece of the hymen that has torn off and is hanging out of your vaginal opening.  The rest of the hymen that has been previously stretched and torn has retracted into polyp-like structures--all normal part of the hymeneal remnants.  The piece hanging out is called a hymeneal tag and can very easily be removed in a gynecologist's (or cosmetic gynecologist's) office in a 15 minute procedure.  The rest of the hymen remnants are normal and should be left alone.  They will shrink as you get older but won't go away completely.

I hope this information is helpful.


Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Hymenal remnant

Thank you for your question. From your picture it appears that you redundant hymnal remnants. Intercourse can cause tears in the hymen that result in asymetric skin tags. This can also occur following vaginal deliveries in the future. This can be addressed by a simple office procedure.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

See your Gynecologist about your vaginal skin tag

You are not alone! Many women are embarrassed about any skin tag that protrudes outside the vagina. They are most likely remnant tags from your hymen that was disrupted when you first had sex. They are easily removed under local anesthesia. You should see your gynecologist to have them removed under local anesthesia. This is a simple office procedure. Removing them will not have any risk of painful sex or future problems.
Best of luck

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.