Does tattoo removal really work on a color tattoo?

I have colors red, green and blue being that the tattoo is the Italian and American flags. Will tattoo removal really removal the whole tattoo as if there was never a tattoo there or will there always be a little bit there..

Picosure Laser will remove your tattoo

My suggestion is to learn more about the Picosure laser for tattoo removal. The Picosure will permanently remove your tattoo without causing harm to the surrounding tissue. Consult with your doctor in order to determine if this is the best option for you. Good luck!

Do tattoo lasers really fully remove tattoos

No matter the laser type, even the very best one on the market now, will leave a bit of smearing or shadowing behind. There is no laser out there that 100% removes a tattoo and leaves your skin looking like nothing was there before. Someday maybe a device will exist and we've certainly come a long way in the past decade, but at this point in time, a perfect tattoo removal laser is not available.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Laser tattoo removal

Laser tattoo removal works but you need to select the right treating physician who has a good understanding of laser tissue interactions. Black, and red will do well. Green and blue will be slower to clear. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

Red, greens, and blues can all be successfully treated now with the new tattoo removal lasers.  It may take several treatments to completely remove the pigment and some tattoos are more difficult than others to remove.  I use the Candela TriVantage Laser and have had great results with all of these colors.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified physician with experience with tattoo removal.

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question. With tattoo removal you always have the risk of residual ink being left behind. Red and greens are the most difficult to remove normally, it also will depend on the type of ink used by your tattoo artist. I would speak with your laser technician about how many treatments it might take and their succsess rate with tattoos like yours.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon