Removal or possible cover up of an already extremely large tattoo (which is a cover up itself)? (Photos)

Filled with dark and bright colours as it was originally a cover up itself. Haven't had the best luck! Looking for as much information as possible. I hate the orange at the bottom. Also sick of being asked 'what is it'. Because it's a horse. But the head starts right at the top of my bikini line. I was unprepared and didn't do my research. I just went with the artist suggestions and now I have this on my leg forever. I would still have a tattoo this size, just different! Thanks in advance

Laser Tattoo Removal

When it comes to a laser tattoo removal, your tattoo can be removed with optimal results. The worrisome colors are orange and teal. Newer Pico second lasers are more effective at removing colors such as teal and orange but it may not be possible to have complete removal. It is hard to give definite professional opinion just from looking at the picture, so I advise you to consult with a laser tattoo removal expert.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. A handful of laser tattoo removal treatments will help lighten your current tattoo. If you are looking to have it covered up (again) the number of treatments/how much it has lightened up will be determined between you and your tattoo artists decision as a cover-up idea. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatments

This can be removed with laser tattoo removal. It will take a series of treatments. I recommend getting a consultation with a laser tattoo removal expert for best outcomes. Best, Dr. Emer

Large tattoo on leg

This needs a high power laser. One that has both QS and Pico lasers. It also must have multiple wavelengths. I think the Piqo4 is a great choice for this. The Enlighten is another choice. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Removal of large tattoo

It may be possible to remove your tattoo, especially if your goal is to cover it with something new.  However, you should be prepared for it to take a significant amount of time, multiple treatments, and possibly incomplete removal.  Double ink is going to be more difficult to remove completely than if it was just applied once.  The orange will also be difficult to remove.  You often do not know how it will ultimately respond until you begin treatment and see.  Even if it is not able to be completely removed, it can probably be lightened enough to cover it with something else.