Why can I feel the texture of my implant?

Hi, I got surgery almost 5 months ago, and I see that specially in the mornings I can feel the texture of the implant in my right boob. Is that normal, why I only feel it in the right one and what are the reasons for that ? Thank you ;)

Implant palpability

The palpability of an implant all depends upon the thickness of the overlying tissue.  Most commonly they are palpable in the lower fold.

Should you be able to feel your breast implant?

As you can see there are numerous reasons for palpability of a breast implant - there are also treatments , or solutions for this as well - best to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss this.

SInce patients can feel the breast tissue under the breast skin, it is not surprising that they can feel the implants too. 

Silicone implants feel more like breast tissue than to saline implants, and tend to blend in better. Patients with relatively more breast tissue and less implant volume are less likely to be bothered by the sensation of feeling the implants. 

But being able to feel the implant is not abnormal. Best wishes. 

Normal to feel breast implants.

Hello and thanks for your post. Feeling your breasts implants is totally normal. In some cases, the breast tissue is thin and the implant more palpable. Larger breast implants, implants above the muscle, saline implants are more easily felt. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Palpable breast implant after breast augmentation

It may be possible to "feel the texture" of a breast implant after breast augmentation for a number of reasons: 1. Thin pre-existing breast tissue.  2. Sub-glandular placement of implants. 3. Dual plane placement of implants. 4. Saline vs Silicone implants. If you still have concerns, ask your plastic surgeon if any of these conditions apply to you. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Feeling my breast implant

Thank you for asking why you can feel your breast implant after augmentation.

1. I assume you have saline implants under the breast.
  2. There is nothing wrong - it simply means your breast tissue on one side isn't quite enough to conceal the implant completely in certain positions.
  3. This is common and is not harmful.

Usually, after a breast surgery, it is possible one may feel the implant more on one side, which usually depends on the thickness of the tissue covering the implant and one may have different breasts meaning the coverage over the implant on one breast maybe thinner than the other.  Another reason can be the way the pocket that was developed, maybe in that area that the tissue was dense a little bit more than the other.

Does this become a really a problem or create a visibility ?

The best solution to the problem is I think just to have a session of fat injection to the area to recruit more tissue so it is not visible.

Thin individuals more prone to a palpable breast implant.

Thin individuals particularly when saline implants are involved often can feel the shell of the breast implant. It is not abnormal but certainly not desired.

Breast Implant Palpability

Dear vero813:      It is not unusual to be able to palpate or feel your breast implants. The reasons are multifactorial including tissue thickness, pocket placement(submuscular vs. subglandar), silicone vs. saline implants(saline is firmer and non-compressible)and texture vs. smooth implants. If you have any concerns please follow up with your plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. 

Texture of implant?

If you are referring to rippling, it can be common.  It is most appreciable in the outer, lower quadrant, thinner patients, and saline implants.  Bend over at your waist and it really gets bad.  This unfortunately is normal in those circumstances and if problematic, should motivate you to see your surgeon about this and for other options.

Curtis Wong, MD