Worried about chosing the right implant size

I am going in for an under the muscle breast aug in a few weeks. I have been going back and forth on which size to choose. My final decision was a 225 cc to stay nice and natural. My dr said that should put me about about one cup size? I am currently a b with adequate breast tissue. I am worried I won't notice a difference in size and wondering if I should go with 250 cc to notice one cup size difference?

Hi. A 25cc difference is not noticeable. Therefore, if you are concerned about size, I would suggest you considering increasing the implant size by 75-100cc. Looking natural is not a function of implant size! There have been many surveys that have shown one year later, that most patients undergoing a breast augmentation wish they would have gone a bit bigger. Good luck.

Dr. PG

Implant Sizes

As explained by some of the other doctor's answers, the difference between 225cc and 250cc is less than an ounce. I always tell my patients that if you are not happy with the size you select, going up less than 50cc is not going to be noticeable. If you think 225cc is too small, you won't be pleased going to just 250cc. But if you are trying to decide between two different sizes I always tell my patients to go with the bigger size. Most girls wish they would have gone bigger. If you think you are going to beat yourself up about staying with 225cc, I would say go with 250cc, that way you will never question yourself. However, I would stay within that range, since you feel most comfortable with around that size. You will notice a nice, natural improvement. Good luck.

Choosing the correct size

I think that the difference in the two implants you are looking at is very small. The size in volume and in dimensions is relatively minor. My practice will decide the day of surgery in the operating room by testing sterile sizers and seeing what "looks"  the best and fills the void most naturally. This requires the patient to place their trust in the doctor's decision making, knowing their taste and history of prior results and outcomes. This can be determined by looking at the  doctor's website and seeing if they really know what "natural" looks like. I wouldn't sweat it because the difference in those two implants is about 2.5 tablespoons of volume. Good luck in your pursuit.

Michael D. Cohen, MD

225 vs 250cc Implant?

When it comes to implants sizes and volumes, many women get very caught up with the numbers of the implants when they really should not.  A 25cc difference between implants is two tablespoons.  That is it, so essentially you should look almost identical if you did a 225cc or 250cc.  98% of women who undergo a breast augmentation all feel that they could have gone a little larger after everything is settled and healed, so I recommend going with the slightly larger implant if your surgeon feels that it would fit well with your frame and breast tissue.  I hope this helps.

Worried about choosing the right implant size

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "one cup size difference" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with

Choosing breast implant size

Thank you for your question. Size is a critical question for many women who choose breast augmentation. The key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation. There is an ideal shoe size for your foot. Too small and your foot will be crammed and too large and your foot will not fill the shoe. The same thing is true with breasts: too large and it will look round and fake; too small and it will be loose and empty on the top. The common denominator to the most beautiful breasts is that they were sized objectively on the basis of measurements. We combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires. Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion. A rice test in the office or at home can also be very helpful. Good luck!

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

These implant sizes are definitely in the lower range.  You will obtain a natural look that may be underwhelming depending on your desires.  If you are concerned about the small implant size, I would recommend the larger 250 cc device since it will likely be more satisfying for you in the long run.  If these are saline, remember they can be overfilled by 25-40 cc over the nominal size.  Best wishes, Dr. T

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

What size implants

In my experience, you will not be able to notice a difference with 25 more cc's. At smaller breast sizes it takes at least 75cc to visibly make it obvious that it is larger. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS