Can the volume of silicone implants be changed?

I had decided on silicone implants for my lift/BA andthought were pre-filled in 25cc increments. My surgeon told me that she placed a 350cc implant in one breast and a 260cc in the other as it had a lot of breast tissue. How does a surgeon get a 260cc silicone implant if they are pre filled?

Silicone Implant Volume in Melbourne, Florida

Silicone implants come prefilled and the volume cannot be changed. The fill amounts vary depending on the implant style and manufacturer. Hopefully this is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I have to say that silicone implants are most of the times prefilled by the manufacturer..Depending on the size, they can go to 25cc's  more.. Surgeons cannot fill again the implants after they have passed from the manufacturer ... Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Implants come in many shapes and sizes. As an example, Allergan mid range silicone implant style 15 comes in sizes that include 304 cc, 339 cc, 371 cc, etc. Mentor has four different profiles that all have different sizing increments as well. I would advise you to look up your implant manufacturer to get an idea of the size options available for the particular style you have.

SIlicone implants

Implants are prefilled from the manufacturer.  Increments other than 25cc are possible depending on the size and profile.  We cannot fill the implants to a larger or smaller size after they are manufactured.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants

The implant company provides a card to give the patient so that they have all the information about the implants on them. Best to ask your surgeon.

Implant Sizing

Silicone implants are always prefilled. That being said, different brands/manufacturers make different increments. For instance, Mentor brand come in 25cc increments only. You should have received a card with the serial numbers and fill volume on there. Your surgeon should also have a copy of this information in your chart. If you are unhappy with the current size, they would have to be replaced.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Changing the Volume of Silicone Breast Implants

Once a silicone breast implant is inserted the only way to change its volume is to change the implant itself. That requires to undergo another surgery. You should have the card of the implants with the implant information for future refrence.

Good luck!

Did not your chosen surgeon offer you an implant card postop for your records ?????? There you would see the size, shape, style of silicone implant inserted......

Silicone implants

Yes, they are prefilled and this cannot be changed.  The size of implants in the 200-300 range can vary by 20 cc depending on the manufacturer.  

Silicone implants and BL

Silicone implants come in set sizes ie 25 cc increments.Unlike saline implants,silicone implants can not be changed.That is an advantage of saline implants in that you can add saline to it to increase it's size.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon