Is it ok to get a tummy tuck if there is still tenderness in c-section scar and over pubic area?

C section was two years ago and was complicated with lot of blood loss and scar tissue and I'm worried that tummy tuck will be similar. Is this the case or am I worrying too much?

Tummy tuck after C section

The tummy tuck is more controlled than the C section and should have no higher risk than a person without your issues. Having said that you could have underlying bleeding problem or other issues which put you at an icreased risk of bleeding or clotting. These are usually easy to figure out just by asking the appropriate questions. I see no reason why you shouldn't have a consultation and surgery once your risks(if any) have been identified and a plan developed.

Eric Weiss MD

Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Without knowing more of your medical history - it's difficult to give the best answer. Generally speaking, what I ave found- is that low transverse C-section scars when incorporated in the Tummy Tuck incision- usually improve in all aspects. Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam

Tummy tuck following C-section

Thank you for your question.  An elective tummy tuck is a very different, more controlled procedure compared to a c-section.  As long as you are healthy and do not have a clotting disorder, you should be at no increased risk for the procedure.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons for a full evaluation and to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Still have some pain over a past c-section scar. Will this affect me if I have a tummy tuck?

What a good question to ask!  I can understand that you may have concerns about this, but unless you have been told that you have extenuating bleeding or healing problems that still need to be considered I would say that the two operations are very different in the manner that they are performed and should not lead to the same post surgery findings.  The tummy tuck remains very superficial, just below the skin, and the C-section involves deep intraabdominal surgery that can lead to internal bleeding and pain.  I would always check with your primary physician to be sure that you are healthy, as well as to select a very good Plastic Surgeon in your immediate area to consult with and to evaluate your condition, but I don't forsee that you should have a problem as you described this to us.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D. Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after C section

C section and delivery are very different from an elective tummy tuck.  Find out why there was blood loss and whether labs studies were done to determine whether you have any bleeding tendencies.  Review this information carefully with your plastic surgeon. Make sure to choose only a board-certified plastic surgeon (ABPS) with significant experience and good before/after photos. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after C-section and tenderness?

In many instances of tender scar after C-section, the problem is adherent scar between  the skin and the underlying abdominal wall muscles. These issues are addressed during a tummy tuck. In my experience, the discomfort is eliminated at the same time that the tummy shape is restored. There are many reasons why an old scar can be tender, so to begin with, an examination and possibly diagnostic studies such as CT scan may be necessary in your case.  To get a really detailed answer to your question, plan to consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate plenty of experience with tummy tuck surgery and who is available AFTER your surgery when you have questions.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon