Thinner tip and a chin implant?

I've been dreaming about getting my nose and chin done for years now,but it's not easy to make this step knowing about the risks it comes with.Do you think that getting my nose tip smaller and a chin implant would be enough to make my face more balanced?Or will I need something else?How complicated is the surgery going to be?And what price range are we looking at?

Simultaneous nose & chin enhancement

Rhinoplasty and mentoplasty are very commonly performed together. Roughly 20% of my rhinoplasty patients opt for a chin implant at the same setting to help them achieve their facial enhancement goals. It adds about 20 minutes to the duration of surgery and probably about $2500 to the total, with very little risk of complication. If recommended, mentoplasty can enhance your rhinoplasty experience exponentially. Good luck! -Randolph Capone, MD

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant

These are two procedures that I love doing and look great together!  From your photos, it looks like you can get very nice results!

Chin implant and rhinoplasty can be performed together

Thank you for your questions and photographs. You may consider a conservative tip rhinoplasty to refine the tip, which can be performed as a "closed" approach. At the same time, a chin implant can not only improve the chin, neck, and jawline, but also make the nose appear more proportionate. Rhinoplasty price range broadly from approximately $6500 and upward, while chin augmentation $4500 and upward based on a variety of factors including geographic location, complexity of procedure, etc. Keep in mind no one necessary "needs" cosmetic surgery. The surgery itself can be relatively uncomplicated. If you haven't already, then speak with a plastic surgeon who specializes in facial surgery to get a comprehensive evaluation and review options for you. 

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your pictures.
Although it seems that your profile is relatively straight, your tip appears broad without differentiation. However there may be some lens distortion to account for some of the broadness.
If the tip were modified, there could be some loss of projection and the need for more, complex, tip grafting.
I think you will get more bang for the buck with just an appropriate chin implant.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Thinner tip and a chin implant?

If your nose is a distraction to you when you look in the mirror, or when you see yourself in photos and you find that it's a source of concern for you, than you have realistic motivations for rhinoplasty and possibly chin augmentation. In my opinion your profile would be improved by chin augmentation. Chin augmentation often compliments rhinoplasty very nicely and can lend a very harmonious balance to the profile.

That said, it will require a formal consultation to fully understand your expectations and get a recommendation on what is surgically feasible, and to fully comprehend the risks of surgery.

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty and chin implant. Do your homework and seek out a consultation with a Board-Certified Facial Plastic or General Plastic Surgeon who has experience with rhinoplasty.

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thinner Nasal Tip and Chin Augmentation

There is no doubt you wide tip can be reduced and refined with a limited tip rhinoplasty. Your profile can be improved with a chin/jowl implant. Done by an experienced surgeon the risks are minimal risks. Cost will vary depending on who you select to do the surgery. Consult with surgeons in your area.

Tip rhinoplasty and chin implant

A chin implant might be nice as long as it does not make you chin look to strong.  A tip rhinoplasty or even a full rhinoplasty might be reasonable as well. It is best to evaluate you in person.  Good luck!

Rhinoplasty and chin implant combination

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing the bulbous tip, narrowing the bridge line, decreasing the projection of the nose and shaving down the dorsal hump. The side photograph also demonstrates a weak and  recessive chin profile, for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are composed of Silastic, are placed through a small incision underneath the chin under general anesthesia at the same time as the rhinoplasty. Both procedures are complementary to each other to help with facial balance and proportions. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose your rhinoplasty surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For many examples of this combination,  please see the video and the link below

Thinner tip and a chin implant?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Sliding genioplasty + rhinoplasty = profileplasty

You are an optimal candidate for the so called profileplasty, which consists in doing rhinoplasty and chin surgery at a time, a safe and routinary procedure in experienced hands.

You have primarily a very typical and common nose as candidate for rhinoplasty, which requires slight dorsal shaving, a bit of tip shortening and frontal narrowing of the overal nose, with tip reduction and plasties at the domes (Ortiz-Monasterio's) to obtain a feminine tip (from the pics I don't think tip grafting is required, you have good definition of tip, it is a matter or sharpening within limits).

Your chin needs anterior advancement and for this I recommend sliding genioplasty. Great part of your jowls / double chin is a mere apparent problem, caused by the lack of tension of the underlying skeleton, like a flaccid hammock, so you can expect improvement there. Do NOT accept any fillers or implants, at all.

Being an option, chin implants have serious disadvantages, specially in the mid and long term, patients are rarely happy with them after 5-6 years, all are out by then or later.

Consider the chin advancement by means of sliding genioplasty, the advantages are:
-lifetime procedure, no more revision or renewal procedures
-more natural than implants
-no visibility of implant edges during gestures
-improves the double chin effect at the sub-mental muscles (floor of mouth) hammock caused by lack of tension there; also improves the shape and tension of perioral muscles; implants do no offer this feature
-horse-shoe enhancement, covering the chin and also the jaw sides of it
-no future displacements or neuritis of mental nerves
-practically zero infections and 100% healing of bones
-no need for complex plates and screws that may need future removal; just steel wires synthesis may suffice, they stay buried into bone callus

The cons are:
-expensive, but cheap if you consider the lifetime pros
-technically demanding, few surgeons are experienced or comfortable (though I personally perform 100% of the chin augmentations by this osseous method, always after offering the patients both options)
-scary for the patient (though not so much if you explain well the stuff around it)

You'll find in this website dozens of negative experiences with chin implants in the short and mid term, do read my profile's Q&A and you'll find them too. I am doing sliding genioplaties for 15 years with the highest success and no one patient regreted, totall the opposite, I did many chin implant removals and one staged sliding genioplasties to replace them.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon