Am I still swollen? (photos)

Hello, I had a tummy tuck 3 months ago and I noticed that I have a little bump between my scar and my belly button. Also in my left side I have a bump like I'm still swollen. Well, that is what I think because my right side is more flat. The ends of my scar have a little bump too. Sometimes in the day I look very flat but in other time I look very swollen . I hope this goes away. I don't feel comfortable to show my tummy yet bc it looks very unnatural. I upload some pictures so you can see. Thank you

3 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Swollen 3 Months Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

There is a chance that you are still swollen, but if you are worried that there is a delay in the healing process it would be good to visit your surgeon for a follow-up examination to ensure that everything is going well. Good luck.

Am I still swollen?

Swelling after a tummy tuck can last up to a year. You are just now starting to see some of the swelling resolve. It will continue to come and go for the next several months. Continue to wear your compression garment and make sure to keep all of your follow up appointments with your surgeon. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Likely still swollen

Obviously best to ask your doctor but chances are you're still swollen. The area between your belly button and your scar is the last area to improve. Fluid collects there with gravity but has trouble getting out with your scar in the way. Your body will "figure it out" but it can take months.  Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon