What are the risks of not waiting the recommended time frame of 3 months after breast feeding for a reduction?

I am looking in getting a breast reduction, but my surgeon never mentioned how long I should've stopped breast feeding before.

Thank you for the question.  Waiting 3 to 6 months after you have completed breast-feeding, to proceed with breast reduction surgery will allow for your breasts to reach a "steady-state" (which will allow for proper planning of the operation).   Also, having breast surgery while you are still lactating will expose you to  problems such as   fluid accumulation ( which may require further treatment such as drainage procedures) and/or secondary infections.

My best advice: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon can demonstrate lots of experience safely achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Then, wait until you reached your long-term stable weight and are several months out of lactation prior to proceeding.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with; keep in mind as you work toward your goals that breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

I doubt any boarded PS would operate upon you until you are OVER 3 months post breast feeding.

Stopping breast feeding before breast reduction

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

You need to stop breast feeding at least 3 months before a breast reduction. Breast feeding enlarges your breasts and your surgeon cannot judge how much breast tissue to remove if you are still swollen. This is in my opinion very important for a good result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast surgery

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to finish breastfeeding before performing surgery. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD