Restylane vs Juvederm for lip augmentation? (Photo)

I've used restalyne and juvederm for lip aug, 1 time each 9 mos apart. My first time was with restalyne, the doc used 1cc. I could leave the house after the weekend. The 2nd time 1/2 a cc of juvederm was used and my lips exploded. That Doctor went through the border of the lip or behind to inject. Do some people have a different reaction to juvederm since it pulls more water to the location? Are the particles in juvederm thicker or do they spread out more? Both physicians are highly qualified.

Individual reactions to fillers fillers for the lips are different - go with the one that is personally better for you

Thank you for your question. I understand you had 1cc of Restylane injected into your lips and experienced a little amount of swelling, but later on you had half a cc of Juvederm injected, which made your lips swell significantly. You’d like to know what could’ve caused such a reaction.

I can certainly provide you with some assistance on this matter. As a member of the Y Lift® network, I use Juvederm quite a lot on the face for something which we call structural volumizing, in order to create a facelift-like effect. I’ve been using Restylane since it was first approved by the FDA, so I’ve gained a significant amount of experience on both fillers. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years.

It’s important to keep in mind that reactions to treatments or products are highly individual. A patient can experience a tremendous amount of swelling with a certain product, and then have considerably less swelling with another product. It works both ways—we’ve seen swelling from Juvederm and swelling from Restylane. Regardless, there’s always a heated debate regarding which fillers are optimal for certain areas, but ultimately it depends on the patient and the doctor. Personally, I prefer using Restylane when doing finer work along the border of the lips.

With regard to swelling, it’s important to distinguish between reactive swelling from the trauma of the treatment, and hydrophilic swelling, which is a result of liquid being pulled to the area. I’m sure your doctor is familiar with this and has probably guided you with navigating through the swelling. I always tell my patients to expect a certain amount of swelling after the procedure, though we try to reduce this during the procedure with a variety of methods. Post-op swelling usually takes about two weeks to settle down, which is why we routinely follow-up with our patients after two weeks, to make sure the contours achieved when I did the procedure are maintained. If there’s a need for enhancement, we’ll sometimes add a bit more.

I think that based on your experience you may want to just use Restylane. In my experience of using hyaluronic acid fillers, I think it is something that should be customized for the individual. Some people will switch from one product to another, for the sake of the longevity. Certain products will also last longer than what is indicated by the manufacturer. In fact, I’ve had patients who I did Restylane for in their lips and their results lasted over a year. It is not absolute and really depends on how your body metabolizes the product.

That said, I would probably advise you to just use the product that is more consistent. I think we have to be practical, even if it means that a material like Restylane won’t last as long, at least you will be able to avoid the undesirable effects of disproportionate swelling.
I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane vs. Juvederm for lip augmentation

Juvederm is more hygroscopic -- it will attract more volume (in the form of water) to itself following injection. This happens less frequently in the lips than in the lower eyelids, for example.

Despite minor differences in particle size, both fillers usually behave well in the lips and I actually prefer injecting Juvederm in the lips because it behaves so well. It's difficult to say why you had an adverse outcome with Juvederm. If you've never had an issue with Restylane, just insist on that -- you're the patient, you're in the driver's seat. No injector should have a problem with that.

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane vs Juvederm for lip augmentation?

Both Restylane and Juvederm are my most frequently used products to volumize the lips. Restylane Lyft and Juvederm Ultra Plus do last a bit longer than most other products. I would guess that when you had Juvederm injected in your lips and became so swollen, a vein and/or artery were perforated causing bleeding within the lip and thus the immediate swelling.
Generally, the technique is the cause of these complications rather than the products. I suggest always using a micro-cannula such as the DermoSculpt for injecting lips or around the eyes. These cannulas have rounded tips and tend to push blood vessels aside rather than perforating them like a needle.
As a matter of interest, taking a look at the actresses in the movie, Martian. Most, if not all, of the actresses had inflated lips, but the inflation was in the center of the upper lip in a very non-anatomical way. This looked very strange and weird to me and certainly not like someone blessed with full lips.
In addition, look at the cheeks in the main actresses. Whoever performed the filler apparently has never looked carefully at a face before. Cheeks are not a simple lump on the cheekbone like half of a walnut or such, leaving the tear trough like a sinkhole. The tear trough is the concavity seen in the aging person between the cheek and the nasolabial fold. The point of fillers is to reduce or eliminate the facial shadows that occur with aging.

Lip Enhancement with Filler

My experience has led me to use Juvederm Ultra XC for lip augmentation and though there is always swelling I prefer the natural look and feel that it provides.  IMO the swelling you experienced after a 1/2cc injection is more likely related to the random nicking of a small blood vessel that led to an internal bruise.  Like many others I recommend pretreating the lips with application of cold compresses to reduce bruising and swelling.  Your result does appear to be excellent however!

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Restylane vs Juvederm

Thank you for your question and photos.  Both Restylane and Juvederm are indicated for lip augmentation.  I use both with some frequency in the lips, either because of patient preference or if there is a promotion supported by the companies.  I do believe that swelling is more injection technique related versus product specific.  Also, if you do happen to bruise, then this will attract more water (hence swelling), which can make one injection experience very different from another (even with the same injector and product).  What is important that you check the credentials and experience of the physicians.

Juvederm Versus Restylane -- Get Cannulas Injections

Everyone injects differently and there is no rhyme or reason.  Some people believe results are better one way over another.  I like cannulas as they limit complications.  Also, I chose restylane family over juvederm in the lips because they swell less.  I suggest going to someone you trust with expert skills.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lips Juvederm Vs Restylane

I think both Juvederm and Restylane do well in lips. Juvederm is a bit softer. I personally prefer the slightly stiffer Restylane for my lips . I also think that you will do best with what your doctor is moire comfortable with, if they have a favorite. Restylane Silk and Belotero are softer but do not last very long. I love both of them to fill fine lines around the lips. My favorite lip combo is Restylane for the body of the lip and Silk for fine lines around. Also, I like you lips after some of the upper lip dissolved. Your lower lip looks best when a bit bigger then the upper.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane better

I have found that, across the board, Juvede causes more swelling and bruising than Restylane. For the lips, if available, Belotero is softer and less palpable. 

Robert Reiffel, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and Juvederm

Thanks for your question and photos. Cosmetic fillers are known for their swelling side effect. Both Juvederm and Restylane are effective, and every patient's results will vary. Your lips look good even after the swelling had subsided.

German Newall, MD

Fillers for the lips

Lips are notoriously prone to swelling after injection. Juvederm can do this and so can the other products. It usually improves within a week or so.