Would I qualify for the lollipop technique? (Photo)

I am wondering if my breasts would benefit from the minimal scarring technique. I have looked at many cases where the anchor method was used, and the scarring worries me. I am a 34JJ. 5'3" 160lbs. Also I was wondering if my breasts will look fuller after a reduction?

Breast reduction incisions and scars

Thank you for your question.  You would require the full "anchor" type, Wise Pattern, scar for your breast reduction/lift.  Anything less would leave you with a substandard result.  Your breast would have an improved shape but would likely not have a more full appearance.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeon with proven good results based on prior patient experiences and photos.  Hope this helps!

Would I qualify for the lollipop technique

The shape of your breast will certainly look better after a lift. As to the incision required, I believe you are likely a better candidate for a full anchor type incision rather than the lollipop incision

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Reduction

I think a vertical incision breast reduction could be performed in you and yes, the reduction also lifts the breasts, rearranging the tissues to make them look fuller. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and examination. Good luck!

Salem Samra, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

100% anchor

There is no way someone can deliver you as good of results as you would get with an anchor incision with any other technique.  Scarring is dependent on many things and some are out of our control- like your genetics.  The other factors, we can control.  I can control how good of a job I do at lining up your tissue layers and using the right type of suture and technique.  Together, we can control your scar aftercare which should consist of taping and using Scar Recovery Gel for a minimum of 6 weeks- would like 3 months.  Rarely do I have a patient that comes out of a breast reduction and doesn't think the scars (which end up much better than they imagined) are worth the tradeoff.  You need to find a surgeon that knocks your socks off with their results because you should get an awesome one.  Hope this helps.-JGH

Lollipop incision

I do not feel you are a candidate for a lollipop incision.  Having said that, I usually approach these cases with plans to do a lollipop incision but with the agreement that if there is too much excess skin along the inframammary fold after elevating the nipple, a horizontal incision will be made.  Given the appearance of your breasts, I think there will be excess skin along the inframammary fold necessitating anchor incision.  I have had very few complaints about the scars after an anchor incision as the longest scar (under the breast) is not easily seen.Thanks for the question,Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Would you qualify for the lollipop treatment?

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? However from your description it would appear that a lollipop type lift would be best for you rather than a periareolar lift like the Benelli procedure. Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Different types of incisions for mastopexy

A mastopexy or breast lift can be done in many different ways. It all depends on how much lift you need (or in essence how much skin needs to be removed) as to what type of incision you will have. The smallest incision is one just around the areola. This can elevate the breast about an inch or less and tighten up the skin minimally but for some women this is enough. The next larger scar is the "lollipop" or circle around the areola with a vertical extension. This can raise the nipple areola complex a bit more but does not decrease the amount of skin on the bottom of the breast.  A full mastopexy (often called a Wise pattern mastopexy) is the typical anchor scar and can remove the most skin on the breast. Your surgeon should be able to explain which scar is best for you and the reasons why. A breast reduction removes breast tissue (not just skin) but the scars can be shaped in exactly the same way as the lift. For a woman who wants to be a bit larger, the implant will fill out some of the skin and less of a lift will be needed. For a breast reduction the least amount of scarring is seen with the liposuction only technique which is especially good for a woman with a fatty and not very dense breast. This leaves the least amount of scarring but also gives the least amount of lift.

Lollipop lift?

Thank you for your question and photos.At 34J, a breast reduction rather than a lift would be most appropriate. The typical incision lines are around the areola, straight down to the inframammary crease and along the crease (where the underwire of the bra sits.) This will allow the surgeon to best shape the breast, lift the breast off your tummy and give you a more youthful appearance. Skin reduction is as important as breast tissue reduction in your case. An added benefit of the reduction is it lifts the breasts off your tummy and thereby elongates the torso which creates length in a petite woman of 5'3". You certainly will not need implants. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and explain what it is that you are seeking and discuss the best procedure to get you there.Best Wishes,Dr. Morrissey

Use of Lollipop or Newer Techniques

The breast lift procedure is done on an outpatient basis under intravenous sedation and local or general anesthesia. As mentioned above there are a variety of techniques for these operations. Lollipop lift (vertical lift), donut (periareola) lift, Benelli lift, crescent lift, anchor lift  (inverted T ). Most commonly, we prefer the lollipop or donut lift because of the shape, small scars and easier healing. Although the “anchor-shape” or inverted “T” incision is still more popular in the United States, it represents an older technique with extensive scarring and a less optimal result in many cases. The newer techniques are utilized in the vast majority of cases, the rare exception being extremely large breasts. The nipple-areola complex is repositioned higher, the excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped in a pleasing contour and in a more normal position.

Minimal scar breast lift

Thank you for your question and helpful photos. It appears you will benefit from a strong breast lift and possible minimal reduction. The Ultimate Breast Lift re-positions and reshapes the breast without the vertical scar or the risks/complications associated with breast implants. The attached short video is an example of a patient who underwent The UBL without implants. I hope this helps,

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon