Opened stitches on areola 5 days after BA with lift, how will this effect scarring? (photos)

I am 5 days post op after breast augmentation and lift. My PS decided to open up my stitches on my right breast around the areola to allow more blood flow for fear of loss on sensation and hematoma. I'll see him again in 3 days but it's really freaking me out because he said I'll have to say "open" like this for 2 weeks.... that doesn't seem right to me. Any help would really help me out. I'm 24 and it's really freaking me out right now.

Follow your surgeon's recommendation

Your surgeon is doing his best to prevent major complication like loss of nipple/areola complex. You will be fine when the swelling settles and he closes the opening. Please do not panic and you will be fine. The worst is thick scar that can be revised later.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Reclose

he will have to surgical re-close/inset the Nipple/areola at a later date. I am guessing he didn't open it for fear of hematoma, he did it for fear of losing the nipple/it dying. So to get some more blood flow to the nipple, he will "delay" the closure 2-3 weeks and then re-close that side so it looks like the left. IF you trust him, just follow his instructions and he is only looking out for your best interests. 

Opened Stitches

Hello, and thank you for your question. I definitely understand your concern and if you are uncomfortable in any way with the healing of these incisions it would be best to visit your surgeon right away to have the area examined. They will be able to determine if healing is progressing well or if there is any problem with the incision. Good luck.

Open wound

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. I'm sorry to see that this is happening with you. It is necessary to open incisions in situations where the is potential decreased blood supply to the nipple. You will require scar revision in the future to optimize the appearance of your scar. Best of Luck -Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon