Odd problem: closed incisions open up at 4 weeks post op lipo of abdomen, lower back, waist, sides of breasts. Causes? (Photos)

Yesterday morning after a shower I was drying under each breast crease where lipo incisions are. I noticed a little hole under the right and a clear yellow fluid filled blister under the left which broke open. The crease incisions have been very tender all along easily irritated. Tonight 4 more incisions doing same. 2 on my FTT('99) incision, & ea. PSIS. R PSIS has a little hole now. I had started gentle scar massage w/Mederma couple of days ago. Saw my PS, got Silvadene. He said no infection.

Odd problem: closed incisions open up at 4 weeks post op lipo of abdomen, lower back, waist, sides of breasts. Causes?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Liposuction typically heal within a few days of the procedure and their reopening at 4 weeks is very strange.  If your surgeon used sutures to close your incision sites your body may have had localized areas of infection termed a stitch abscess that clears once the suture material is expelled or removed.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure your body heals from the inside-out.  Best wishes.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction - breast incisions are opening

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

The incisions under your breast look as though they were made in a previous augmentation scar.
If I were your surgeon, I would culture these incisions and get an ultrasound to the breast.
Whatever is going on, appears quite unusual in the photos.
I would stop the Mederma as it may be a sensitivity reaction to the Mederma.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS