Natrelle/Allergan 410 Shaped Vs. Sientra Shaped/Which Implant Is Better For Breast Reconstruction Appearance And Feel?

The Natrelle 410 seems to have a better shape but it is feels more firm than the Sientra. But the Sientra seems to fold and ripple more easily than the Natrelle 410, at least when being held. Is the softer feel better and maybe the Sientras don't ripple than much when in the body, or does the stiffer Natrelle create a better look when there is no breast tissue to provide coverage of the implant.

Shaped implants and the reconstructed breast.

The difference between the implants is not drastic and they both are likely to give similar results. An important aspect in reconstruction depends on how the reconstruction is performed. Shaped implants require a form-fitting pocket to allow for adhesion of the implant to the pocket to prevent rotation. In a single stage reconstruction with acellular dermal matrix, this can be achieved because the capsule will form around the shaped implant. However, concern exists when using a tissue expander prior to exchange to a shaped implant. The capsule has already formed and there is no guarantee that adherence to the new implant will occur. The implant space should also be fairly tight around the shaped implant to help prevent rotation. The lower pole with shaped implants does have a lower propensity to ripple, but the implants are firmer overall than the round cohesive gels.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Sientra and Allergan 410

Both of these implants are improvements over the round implants, in my opinion. When you stand the three upright (round, Sientra, Allergan 410) there is progressively less deformity and folding. The difference between the Sientra and the Allergn 410 is not as dramatic as their difference with the round. In petite patients, particularly, the anatomic can provide a better shape on the upper breast. I personally feel the folding difference between the Sientra and 410 is not as significant inside the body when the pocket is a good fit, but the density an weight difference remains a consideration. 

Robert Ferguson, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Allergan 410's and Sientra implants

Both are good implants for reconstruction.  They may be a bit firmer than the more traditional gel implants but they may cause less rippling.

Both Sientra and Allergan 410 implants good for reconstruction

The differences you note are less apparent when the implants are placed for reconstruction, as compared to when you hold them in your hand. The best shape for you is determined by your own anatomy. Your surgeon should be able to make a recommendation.

Richard Baxter, MD

Sientra vs Allergan 410

As you pointed out, the shape is very similar, though the Allergan device tends to ripple less when they are help upright.  The softness also depends to a large degree on how much scar tissue you develop around the implant.  Another component to consider is that the Allergan texturing is more coarse, and may make these implants less likely to rotate inappropriately after surgery.  I use the 410 implant in most of my breast reconstruction patients, but would be open to using he Sientra device if a patient felt strongly about this after we discussed the attributes each of the implants.  Hope this helps,
-Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants for breast reconstruction

When the entire breast is composed of implant, as is the case with breast reconstruction with implants, the shape and softness of the implant is important. I've used Sientra shaped implants for most of the implant based breast reconstructions I've done over the past couple of years - they are softer than Allergan 410 and have more projection.

Sientra vs natrelle

I really do not believe there would be a significant difference in one implant over the other.It depends on what kind of a capsule you form and how hard it will be.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sientra vs Natrelle shaped textured implants

When used in reconstruction, the differences are so minimal.  If you're convinced one is softer and one ripples less, you simply have to choose what could you tolerate more and assuming the implant dimensions are available in both brands, choose the one that would work best for you.  Softer?  Or less potential for ripple?  That is your call.

Curtis Wong, MD

410 vs Sientra

Both are excellent implants for reconstruction.  It is more important to look at your anatomy (i.e. breast width, height, desired projection, etc) to determine which implant is best for you.  Both implants result in a more natural look with little to no rippling, especially in reconstruction patients (placed under the muscle).  They are firmer than the conventional round silicone implants.

Elizabeth Kim, MD