Is it best to do Mommy makeover or do individual surgeries? Want Tummy Tuck without muscle repair & Breast Lift. (photos)

more concerned with down time and pain control I am asthmatic and have a fear of muscle tightening and the ability to deep breath and I'm a person that clears throat and coughs regularly. I might be over thinking.

Be careful

I recommend a 6 month of course of diet and exercise to lose fat. Your muscle layer needs repair,but typically feel better by 2 weeks. You will get a better result with both surgeries after weight loss. You need a muscle repair, but at your current weight, the result will weaken over time from your fat inside you muscle layer.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures Such as In a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  #MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy Makover

It all depends on who is performing the surgery in my opinion.  In my practice we perform our mommy makeovers together, my partner and I .  We are both board certified plastic surgeons and commonly perform combined cases because there is 2 of us therefore less anesthesia and operative time making it a very safe surgical environment to have breast surgery and tummy tuck at the same time.

One or individual surgeries?

Thank you for your question. From your photos it appears as though you may benefit from muscle tightening. It is best to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and concerns with health issues.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Is it best to do Mommy makeover or do individual surgeries? Want Tummy Tuck without muscle repair & Breast Lift.

Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely. However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery…  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

It is best to evaluate each patient's suitability for combination surgery on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance. Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all important considerations. Your best bet: choose your plastic surgeon very carefully; everything else including good judgment/advice/planning, anesthesia provider and safe surgery facility will follow. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

It is quite common to perform both procedures at the same time as long as your are in good health. CT device and the board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Two operations or one for a mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

You are wise to plan your surgery carefully. Your surgeon and you will decide the details but my comments -
  • Often combining a tummy tuck and breast lift make sense - I'm not sure it does for you.
  • Your health issues are a good reason to separate them - 
  • Given your asthma, you should have clearance by a pulmonologist before surgery.
  • At surgery - your tummy muscle tightening should not increase your airway resistance - the surgeon should loosen the muscle sutures if it does
  • I would start with the breast lift - surgery and recovery are easier than for a tummy tuck.
  • If you are able to lose weight before surgery, it will make surgery safer for you and your recovery easier.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Based upon the posted photos you should lose weight. You visceral fat is an issue. If at a lower weight I might consider doing both operations in one setting.. 

Asthma and Aesthetic Surgery

Thanks for the pictures.  It is best to get your asthma under better control prior to any aesthetic surgery.  When you do have your procedures it is going to be in your best interest to have both procedures performed at once and the muscle of your abdomen tightened.

A tummy tuck and breast lift can be performed together. It usually costs less when you combine surgeries vs. having your surgeries done on separate occasions. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD