Do I need to lose weight before getting a Mommy makeover?

I want to get a tummy tuck and breast lift but don't know if I need to lose weight. What are the usual practices before receiving these types of procedures.

Weight Control and the Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Do you need to lose weight before MM?

I don't have a set weight or BMI that my patients must achieve before having a tummy tuck and breast lift.  I just like them to be within 10-15 pounds of their goal weight so that we can achieve the best result.  Good luck!

Losing weight before a mommy makeover

Great question!You didn't say your current height and weight but I would say that you should be at your desired weight before having surgery.Best of luck to you.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - Weight Loss Before Surgery

Thank you for your question. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. If this is not possible, your BMI should be below 30 to minimize your risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Losing weight before a Mommy Makeover

You did not provide your current height and weight for me to assess. However, my general rule of thumb is that you should be as close to your goal weight as possible before having surgery so that the results are as good as possible! Even if you are not currently at your goal weight, feel free to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon now so you can create your plan for surgery. He/she will be able to tell you how much weight they recommend you lose before your surgery so you can work towards that goal. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Dr derby

A good start is to send some photos to the doctor of your interest. He /she can indicate you if you need further weightloss or if you are okay with just maintaining your current weight. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Proper weight for surgery

It is best to be as close to your ideal weight as possible prior to surgery.  This will aid in optimal results after surgery.  You can look up your Body Mass Index (BMI) online to help determine where you should be.  Eating a healthy diet and maintaining a good exercise program prior to surgery will help you with your recovery as well.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy Makeover and Weight Loss

A mommy makeover is a great procedure to undergo after having children.  With any surgical procedure, it is good to be at your ideal weight prior to the procedure.  This is especially true with a mommy makeover since the breast and tummy are being addressed.  Flucuations in weight can cause changes in breast size as well as the tummy.  So I recommend patients to be at a stable weight within 10 lbs of their goal or ideal weight.  Patients that want to lose 25-50 lbs or more, are better off losing the weight first then addressing the excess skin of the tummy and deflation of the breasts at that time.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring and breast enhancement would be your first best step if you are really considering a mommy makeover.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - do I need to lose weight?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Getting a good result from a mommy make-over depends on how heavy you are.
  • If you are seriously overweight, you may need to lose.
  • The best way to find out is to calculate your BMI (body mass index) online.
  • Just google Calculate BMI.
  • If your BMI is below 30, you probably don't need to lose weight.
  • If it is 30 - 36, surgery might be done but losing weight would be very helpful.
  • If it is over 36, you need to lose weight before surgery.
  • If you aren't sure what to do after knowing your BMI, the best next step is an in-person consultation.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - E Morgan MD PHD FACS

Do you need to lose weight?

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.