How long is recovery?

I will be having a mommy makeover, Breast list, breast augmentation,tummy tuck and lipo. I have four children, twins that are 2, 4 yr old and a 6 year old. How long after until I can drive, pick the little ones up to put them in the car?im worried about lifting and getting back to normal?any advice. Also how long will I need someone to help me go to the bathroom?take a shower?walk up and down the stairs?

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Returning to Activity

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is import

Most patients have resumed every day normal activity two weeks after mommy makeover.

The convalescence of course will be determined by the combination of operations as well as the fortitude of the patient. Most of the time patients are back at full day-to-day activity in about two weeks. This does not include athletic activity however.

The recovery is dependent on the tummy tuck.  I ask the patients to take two weeks off from work and two months off from exercise.  No driving for 2 weeks.  No taking care of the children for 2 weeks.  No heavy lifting for 2 months. You will need full tie help for 2 weeks.

Expected recovery after mommy make-over

If you have a plastic surgeon already, it is always best to follow his or her advice regarding recovery since most plastic surgeons have their own protocol for advancing activity after mommy make-over surgery. 

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

How long is recovery?

Great questions to ask your chosen surgeon! Always follow the surgeon of records protocols! Our advise might not match his/hers... 

How long is recovery?

Every plastic surgeon has their own protocol for postoperative instructions.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help you understand what your options are.  Be sure to ask these questions during your consultation.  Best wishes.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

How long is recovery?

The recovery time after combination procedures varies from patient to patient. My advice is to schedule an in person consultation with an experienced Board Certified PS and after examination -- the treatment plan will be outlined as well as the specific questions addressed. Hope this helps

Recovery post TT

Great question.  Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon and seek out some of the reviews on this site as they are very useful.  Generally with this type of surgery it will take 6-8 weeks to feel back to normal.  You will need help most likely for 3 weeks or more full time.  Some of these can change with the recovery progression.  Please follow your surgeons recommendations. Best of Luck