My left breast is hard with no pain after breast augmentation. Is this normal?

I had a breast augmentation last year. My left breast Muscle was cut and I had the bottom Of the nipple cut where they had to loosen the muscle due to a tulupal breast (spelled wrong) the right implant is soft the left one is soft on top but not bottom where it was cut. I'm wanting to know is this normal

Photos needed

Could you please post some photos to be clear what the problem is in order to advise further

Thank you

Could be a capsular contracture

This sounds like it might be capsular contracture.There are multiple factors that contribute to the development of capsular contracture.  These include bleeding, bacteria on the surface of the implants, powder from gloves, fibers from the gauze or drapes, patient factors.  We control all the variables that can be controlled.  We use the no touch technique to handle the implants.  We employ implant massage after surgery.  We use prostaglandin inhibitors if necessary.  There is evidence that hyperbaric oxygen can be helpful.  Silicone that bleeds causes capsular contrature that increases over time:  this is one of the reasons I prefer saline implants.  

Summary of Post-Op Healing Process

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps. ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.It is a good idea if you find yourself concerned or worried with the healing process to see your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Hopefully with a little more time everything will settle into place with a more natural feeling. Best of luck to you.

Left breast harder than right

Thank you for your question.Tuberous breast deformity, or tubular breasts, is a condition that is sometimes also referred to as "Snoopy Dog breasts", due to their appearance.  It is a normal variation in the development of the breasts where the breast does not expand due to internal constricting bands.  The breast tissue that forms often herniates into the Nipple/Areolar complex causing a distorted look to the breasts.During breast surgery, the nipple/areolar complex is often reduced with a circular incision around the areola.  In addition, the internal constricting bands are released to allow the breast tissue to fill out the normal skin envelope. The remainder of the breast augmentation surgery is then usually performed in a standard fashion.  However, these extra surgical manuevers that are required to correct a tuberous breast deformity, may increase risks of certain postoperative problems.Your situation may be normal, or it may be related to scar tissue of the breast and/or capsular contracture.  You should return to your Plastic Surgeon to evaluate this problem for you.

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Hi there, thank you for your question. It is difficult to provide accurate information without an in person evaluation. Please speak with your surgeon and be assessed. Best,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hard breast

Difficult to tell without a physical exam. Go to see your surgeon whom performed your surgery and he will be able to answer this simple question(likely) very quickly, impossible to answer via this forum ever if you included a picture.