Does my incision look infected? (Photo)

I am 2 weeks and 2 days post op and For the past couple of days, my incision under my right breast has been burning. When I take my sports bra off, It feels like the incision is sticky. My left breast incision looks and feels fine.i haven't been feeling great lately either.. Also, my dr does not do any follow ups or any post op appointments and is 4 hours away. Thank you in advance.

Does my incision look infected? (Photo)

It's difficult to say if you have an infection from just a photo.  An in-office exam would be best.  It's unusual for your surgeon to not offer follow up visits.  Call your surgeon to set up a follow up appointment or perhaps recommend another colleague who is closer to you.  Keep an eye on it, keep it clean with antibacterial ointment on it until you can go see your surgeon. ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

You need a physical evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

It’s impossible to accurately diagnose whether or not you have an infection from a photo. The symptoms that you’re experiencing require follow-up medical care, ideally with the surgeon who performed the procedure. You note that your surgeon does not offer post-op or follow-up appointments, which is a red flag. Whenever pursuing plastic surgery, patients should only seek treatment with board certified plastic surgeons, who all follow ethical and legal guidelines that ensure proper, comprehensive patient care before, during and after all procedures. If an appointment with your surgeon isn’t possible, consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and explain your situation.

Infected incision

From your photo you may be spitting a suture.I would monitor my temp and watch the woumd and maybe put some antibacterial ointment on it and a bandaid over it.As long as it gets better you are fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

No evidence of infection several days after breast implant placement.

Any incisional have some redness for a while which is part of the normal healing process. I see nothing alarming about the incision shown in the photograph.

Does my incision look infected?

Patients have rights. One of them is appropriate follow up visits after surgery. Since you are 4 hrs distance I would call local boarded PSs in Tampa and pay for a second opinion and care. BUT, I am sure if you contacted Dr Freiman's personal private office (305 672 9989 Miami Beach location) he would see you. I believe he is not aware of your issues from the "clinica" you were operated at. Please call him. Now in the posted photo very hard to tell if infected. 

Issues with right breast incision 2 weeks post op.

• There is no way to evaluate you and render a medical opinion based on this photo alone. I am completely unfamiliar with the concept of a surgeon performing a surgical procedure and subsequently providing no avenue for follow up care. Your concerns need to be conveyed to your Surgeon. If your surgeon practices in the United States he or she certainly is obligated to see you in reference to your concerns which is based on a code of ethics and by law. If your surgeon is not located in the U.S. and won't see you, then I suggest you contact a local plastic surgeon certified by the ABPS willing to see you for an appropriate fee.

Does my breast incision look infected? My doctor is four hours away.

Dear Heather,
You have selected your surgeon who is 4 hours away and does not do follow up or post op wound checks, so it seems,  and now you have a concern about the incision.  You are officially exemplifying why if you don't go to a local board certified plastic surgeon for surgery, what you must do ahead of time.  Plastic surgery can be a serious endeavor for any patient.  There are inherent risks with any surgery, and the job is not over when the last suture is placed either.  In spite of the wonderful world of the internet, there is no substitute for being able to schedule a post op appointment with your treating doctor and either driving or walking less than an hour away to be seen. Not every operation sails easily and can take some necessary reassurance even when things are actually turning out great and as expected despite early appearances.  Bite the bullet now, and don't be afraid call your operating plastic surgeon and tell him or her that you have concerns about your incision. Any board certified plastic surgeon will likely find and connect you to another board certified colleague that is able to help you locally. There are several in your area of Tampa, Florida who can confirm if your incision just has a bit of skin maceration or is infected.

Elliot Lach, MD

Does my incision look infected?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns. It is difficult to accurately evaluate the photograph posted. You will need to follow up with your plastic surgeon; nothing will replace in-person evaluation for accurate diagnosis, treatment recommendations, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Infection Present?

Thanks Heather for your question.  I'm very surprised to hear your surgeon does no follow ups or post op appointments as in our clinic we tend to see most surgical patients the very next day and then again at 7-14 days, three months, six months and a year.  Without seeing you in person it's imipossible to say what is going on.  I would strongly urge you to contact your doctor's office as soon as possible and for follow up care either work with your surgeon or seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is a member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons).  Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon