Can I get implants after having mine removed en bloc?

This was almost 6 months ago. I also had a partial lift but it doesn't seem like it. And I have some slight symmastia that would need to be fixed. I don't want to do this if it's not a good idea. I have already been very, very depressed and can't go through another disappointment.

Implants After En Bloc Removal?

Presumably you had your implants removed removed in an En Bloc fashion because they had ruptured, and your surgeon was thoughtful and experienced enough to recognize that this is the best way to prevent contamination of your tissues with the old silicone from the ruptured implant. Assuming that your surgeon was successful in removing the implant in this way, then you should be in a good position to have another augmentation. 

I will often replace the implant at the time of the En Bloc removal assuming that everything goes as planned, and that there is no gel spillage, but some patients are not comfortable with replacing the implant after having their old implant rupture. This is perfectly understandable, but the new generation of highly cohesive gel implants are a much safer and more durable device, and should not put you at risk for the kind of problem that you had with your old implant.

Having a lift after implant removal can help with the sagging that may occur after implant removal, but it is not the same thing as actually having an implant. I have had a number of patients return for re-augmentation after having their implants removed because they just weren't comfortable with their appearance or ability to wear certain clothes without having the volume and shape that an implant provides.

Without photos it is not possible to comment on the synmastia issue that you mention, but a surgeon who is experienced in revisionary breast surgery should be able to address this problem when planning your re-augmentation. To minimize your chances of disappointment you should carefully look for a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who has significant experience in revisionary breast surgery.

New implants

Yes, it is likely that you can have new implants placed. Best to be seen in person to determine what would be appropriate for you.

Redo of implants

Without a physical exam and a better history including an operative note, I cannot tell you whether or not what you have now can simply be fixed by implants alone. I recommend you be seen by experienced plastic surgeon with demonstrated skill in revision breast surgery. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS