I am in the Tampa, FL area and currently doing consults. Wondering on tummy tuck vs lower body lift. (photos)

I lost 140 pounds from 2010-2012. I am now back at looking to have surgery to help with the excess skin. I have already had 3 consults. My problem is they all suggest something different. 1 says regular tummy tuck, 2nd said belt lift, and 3rd said just an extended tummy tuck. I never had kids and have been told I do have great ab muscles they can feel under my loose skin. Also my breasts, I have been told they will hold an implant well and also they won't! I am so confused.

Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss

Congrats on your weight loss. You clearly have a circumferential excess of skin, and are therefore a good candidate for a circumferential procedure. I don't like the term "belt lipectomy" because that implies simply removing the excess skin and fat. When performed correctly, the lower body lift can also lift the front and sides of the legs up, tuck the tummy, and improve the buttocks. A regular or extended tummy tuck will leave too much excess skin of the hips, and cause a disparate and non harmonious result betyween your front and back sides. You have a very long breast that will without doubt not be able to hold the weight of an implant without special maneuvers and staged planning.  Several options exist to get the breasts and body lift done at the same time. Be sure and see a surgeon who specializes in post-weight loss reconstruction.  The approaches and surgery done in special patients like you are vastly different than the standard procedures done in plastic surgery.  Drop me an email and we will be happy to send you a complimentary copy of a book I co-authored especially for weight loss patients considering plastic surgery.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Congratulations on your weight loss. Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I am in the Tampa, FL area and currently doing consults. Wondering on tummy tuck vs lower body lift

Congratulations on your weight loss! You appear to be a good candidate for post- weight loss reconstructions. You will benefit from circumferential belt lipectomy as well as mastopexy. For more info re/ these procedures- you can view the attached link:

Recommendations after weight loss

Your breasts need a lift and will need implants to fill/shape/support them better.Your abdomen/torso depends on your goals. All three recommendations are options. All three give you different degrees of change. The most change in the most area will be the circumferential belt lipectomy. The least will be the standard abdominoplasty. It sounds like you need to decide how much change you want and balance that against scars/cost/risks/recovery.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD