I had a mini smas facelift at age 40 1 yr ago. I'm still very swollen on one side. Is this normal?

I had a mini smas im swollen still on one side one year post. I don't smoke or drink . I have contacted the dr but he just says to massage. It fills like fluid. Not sure what to do. Sorry pics wont upload .

SMAS face lift one year ago - still swollen

Thank you for your question about your face lift.
  • You truly need to be examined to see if this is simply swelling taking a long time to subside
  • Or something like a chronic seroma.
  • It actually can take 18 months for all swelling to subside but one can't tell without an examination.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Needs as second opinion

Best to seek out a second opinion if you remained concerned and believe there is a problem.
Or you can post some photos for evaluation.

Smas facelift

• Hello, and thank you for your questions. As a general rule patients do not have swelling at one year following the facelift procedures. I would recommend that you followup with your treating physician and/or seek out another qualified physician for a second opinion. Best of luck.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

1 year post op

Agree with the rest of the consensus.  At 1 year, just about all of your swelling should be resolved.  unilateral swelling is uncommon, certainly one which "feels like fluid".  Massaging is not likely to help.  Try and schedule a follow up appointment with your surgeon so that he can see you and adequately guide you through the next steps.  Good luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

MACS lift at 1 year

One of the best things about MACS lifts is the generally quick recovery. 1 year that feels like fluid, may well be fluid.  Massage will not help make fluid go away.  I'm sure your surgeon can help to diagnose and then treat the problem. Hope that helps.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.   You should not have any residual swelling 1 year after surgery.  I would ask to be seen by your plastic surgeon.  If it is fluid, there is a good chance it can simply be aspirated.  However, there may be something else going on so best to have your surgeon examine you to determine what next steps will be needed.  

Swelling 1 year after mini-SMAS facelift.

Swelling should be fully resolved by 1 year.  Your surgeon should see you and determine the cause of this swelling.  It is possible to have a fluid collection and this may need treatment.

Still swollen on one side after facelift

The swelling from a facelift should be gone by 12 months. What you need to do is put together your before and after photos and analyse the difference. You need to do this with your surgeon. Did you use a facial garment after the surgery?

Kind regards.

SMAS facelift and swelling

Hard to comment without photos or better yet an exam in person.   Best to review carefully with your surgeon.

Swelling after a Facelift

1 year after a facelift, the swelling will have resolved.  If you have fluid in the area, I would suggest an examination.  I hope this helps.