I had a facelift and cheek lift 6 months ago. Is this swelling under my eyes and chin normal?

I am still having swelling under my eyes and chin. It is especially bad if I eat anything salty or drink wine. Is this normal? Will it go away? It's been 6 months....

Swelling and diet after facelift

Though it does not happen to all patients, some people are very sensitive to small changes in blood pressure or fluid retention. This can make facial swelling an issue for up to a year after facelift, eyelid lift, or rhinoplasty. Try to avoid salty foods. If possible, see your doctor and discuss a low dose of a diuretic, if this is safe for your overall health. Best of luck!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Thank you for your question.  At six months post-op, this is normal.  Please wait longer and address any immediate concerns with your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Swelling after face and cheek lift

Some patients will retain fluid for a longer period of time than others. The swelling will disappear gradually and can take 6-12 months to completely resolve.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Patient During Recovery

Dear Belladogg,

I suggest contacting your board certified facial plastic surgeon and discussing your concerns. The symptoms you describe are not atypical of facelift post-operation and your surgeon may recommend some prescription to help the swelling and numbing.

Always keep a careful watch on your diet, avoid alcohol consumption, refrain from vigorous exercise and make sure you get enough rest each night. Remain patient, Belladogg, your surgeon will be able to diagnose your concerns soon.

Sincerely,

Ross A. Clevens, MD, FACS

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after a facelift

It's very common to have swelling after a facelift and it can last several months.  However, return to your plastic surgeon to see if you have a fluid collection.

#facelift #plasticsurgery post operative swelling issues

Thank you for sharing your question about post operative swelling after your facelift.  While some swelling can continue for 12 months, it is unusual to have severe swelling after six months. I strongly advise you speak with your plastic surgeon in person about this and let them be your guide. Very best.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

PostOperative Swelling

Swelling this far out from a facelift is rare.  I would definitely put a call into your surgeon and discuss.  In generality, all people will swell a bit after increased salt intake, etc.  Such swelling may be exacerbated by surgery since surgery disturbs the natural drainage pathways for lymphatic and venous drainage.

However, despite such disturbances, lymphatic and venous drainage pathways redevelop within the 6 month time frame.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post lift

To have swelling this long post op can occur but is not usual.Heat and massage for awhile may help.It never hurts to go to your doctor.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 6 months post-op

It is unusual to have swelling at 6 months.  However if you had significant eyelid skin laxity or early festoons before hand, the lids may stay swollen for several months.  Before and after pictures would be helpful.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling 6 Months After Facelift

It is rare to have the swelling you described at 6 months post op.  Avoid the foods and drinks that aggravate the situation.  Follow up with your surgeon so that he can monitor your healing.