I am still experiencing soreness 3 months after wedge labiaplasty (Photo)

I am concerned about soreness within the incision of my wedge labiaplasty. The incision went from about 1/2 inch below my clitoris, to about 3/4 inch into my labia majora. I know this isn't standard. There is a lot of puckering I am unhappy about, inside the labia, and barely a lip, at all. Very gathered. I also seem to have lost some sensitivity, but I am very concerned about the pain, that seems to be deep within the scar. The sutures disolved months ago. Is this pain normal? The puckering?

Pain 3 months after labiaplasty

While it is unusual to experience significant
soreness 3 months after labiaplasty surgery, it can take up to 6 months for all
of the discomfort to resolve. I would recommend touching base with your surgeon
so he/she knows how you are doing. Cheers!

Three Months Post-Op and Soreness Remains

You should know that this definitely is not usual, and with the healing process usually having completed by about 6 weeks you should see your plastic surgeon right away to have the healing process checked out. Best wishes to you, and I hope it is better quite soon.

At this point, scar massage is the best option. You should find a silicone based lubricant and you should try to pinch the scar, especially where it is most painful. I know this doesn't sound nice, but physically breaking up the scar tissue is the best option, prior to surgery to have the scar revised. Sometimes there can be a small neuroma in the scar that needs to be removed, but this isn't common. The scar should have extended up into the crease between the labia majora and minora and not into the majora itself, but I would still advocate massage as much as possible!

I am still experiencing soreness 3 months after wedge labiaplasty

Technically, your scar is not fully remodeled until one year out from surgery. You are not considered fully healed for at least 6 months after surgery. That being said it isn't the norm to have pain 3 months out from a wedge resection. That doesn't mean that it cannot happen, but I do think you should see your plastic surgeon to make sure everything is ok. From your photos it appears that you have some tethering at the scar.

Pain 3 Months after Wedge Labiaplasty

Pain at three months after a wedge labiaplasty isn't typical. Follow up with your surgeon, and, if the pain persists, consider a second opinion from an expert in female genital plastic surgery, whether a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist. If the pain is improving, that is a good sign it will continue to improve. If you seek a second opinion, the link below may be helpful to you.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Scar Pain

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Scar pain is not universal but in some cases can take a few months to subside. Very few persist. I would see your surgeon so he or she can take a look and make sure there is nothing else going on.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Wedge labiaplasty

Sorry for you.
Your pain is not usual with the technique that I use.
Thank you for telling people who read this that wedge labiaplasty may not be the best technique available

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Pain after labiaplasty

I'm sorry to hear you are still sore after your surgery. I perform a large number of labiaplasties and most patients are free from tenderness by around 6-8 weeks.

I have, however, had one patient who had significant soreness until 16 weeks after her procedure. I first recommended scar massage and ibuprofen as an anti-inflammatory. However, the discomfort didn't completely resolve until she used a medication to minimize nerve discomfort called neurontin for about 6 weeks.

As far as the puckering and look of your result, there will probably not be any major changes from this point on. I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon (or another surgeon if you are not confident in your surgeon's response). I would not re-operate for cosmetics until the pain resolves. However, if there truly is thickened scar tissue, occasionally revision sooner than that will be indicated. Good luck. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  After three months you should not have persistent soreness along your incision line and I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  I would recommend starting scar massage techniques to help desensitize the area as well as to soften the scar tissue and dissolve any persistent suture material still present.  Best wishes.

Still sore 3 months after labiaplasty

Skin sutures should dissolve within 4-5 weeks (I personally place "Rapide" skin sutures, which dissolve in < 2 weeks), but the deep sutures take 6-8 weeks. However you cut it, your sutures should be totally dissolved, but in some cases it takes longer, and sometimes "scarring" takes a while to "relax." My suggestion is that you practice twice-daily deep massage of the area; give it until 6 months post-op. If your symptoms rtemain, see your surgeon.

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA