Would I be a good canidate for rhinoplasty and what would I have to fix about my nose in your opinion? (Photo)

Don't get me wrong I don't have the worst nose out there.. But I am Eastern European so the big nose does run in the family unfourtantly, I've always hated my nose and I've always been picked on since elementary up until high school. I'm 20 now and I still haven't changed my mind on changing my nose, what I don't like about my nose is when I smile it's really wide and the bridge by nose (if that's what is called) comes out pretty far and that's the number one thing I hate! I say it's like a toucan shape.

What can be done for my nose?

Thanks for the question.  As you have described, your nose appears to be long, you have a hanging columella( the  part of your nose between the nostrils), the chin may be a little short.  This may or not be a proper evaluation of your nose, and as you would expect a Plastic Surgeon that you may choose should evaluate your nasal shape fully before  a decision could be made as to what procedure would be best for you.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Nose and chin?

harisc11223, yes you are a very good candidate but don't forget your chin. I think it may need an implant but can never be too sure from Internet photos. I recommend as always you see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and one that has great photos on their web site. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would I be a good canidate for rhinoplasty and what would I have to fix about my nose in your opinion?

If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough, it can be cosmetically improved with a rhinoplasty. Whether it is worth doing is a decision that is personal and only you can make. A receding chin can be improved with a natural appearing chin implant.

Nasal cosmetic surgery and a chin implant are frequently performed together in the appropriate patient. The ideal aesthetic result should be individualized to achieve harmony with your other facial features and improve the areas that concern you.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and technically how to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. The extent and length of the procedure, cost, and the specific operative steps to achieve an ideal cosmetic result vary from patient to patient and would depend on the findings at your consultation examination.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

The Photographs demonstrate an overly projecting nose with a dorsal hump, and a weak, recessive chin profile. The rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, refining the tip, decreasing the projection of the nose and narrowing the bridge line.  The chin implant can be inserted through a small incision underneath the chin to help  with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly  projected nose. Chin implants are manufactured from Silastic, and come in a  large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. For many examples of this combination, please see the link and the video below to our rhinoplasty/chin implant photo gallery

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Large nose

Although the nose is very large in appearance is mostly the nasal tip and the wide nostrils.  Alar plasty and tip plasty can certainly reduce that appearance of a large nose.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would I be a good candidate for rhinoplasty?

You are correct, yours isn't the worst nose. But your motivations are genuine -- your nose is a distraction to you when you look in a mirror, or when you see yourself in pictures. You want to eliminate the distraction.

My recommendation would include overall deprojection (setting the nose back closer to the face) and tip refinement so that the nose "fits" with your face in a more harmonious, feminine way. You can see some patients with similar pre-op photos and excellent results on my profile page.

So you are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty to address all of the concerns you listed above. Do your homework and seek out a consultation with a Board-Certified Facial Plastic or General Plastic Surgeon who has experience with rhinoplasty.

Best wishes! Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eastern European Nose Changes

The largest percentage of change will come from performing a tip rhinoplasty. This is done by removing/reshaping/repositioning the two pieces of cartilage that give your tip its shape and position. Depending on your goals, a limited amount of other work on your bridge may be recommended. An in-person exam will provide you with more definitive recommendations.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Yes, a good candidate. Check out my morph.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a couple of computer morphs of your nose, and animations of the morphs, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Mostly, I elevated the tip of your nose, and narrowed the tip, and lowered that little bump on the bridge, and tried to simulate narrowing the upper part of your nose, where it's made of bone.

Often, when the two tip cartilages are strong enough to make the tip look wide, they are also strong enough to hold the tip down, making the nose look long, like in the woman in the short attached video. That's why I had to elevate your tip in the morphs.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morphs require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle. Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he'll change, and by how much he'll change them -- so you know whether it's enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon