Will subglandular breast augmentation look better on me?

i had m first and second breast augmentation placed above the muscle and now i need to replace it due to capsular contraction. went to the DR that did my second breast augmentation and he told me since i am thin small frame 5"2 98 lbs. i will not have enough tissue to put under the muscle .. under the muscle is not enough to cover the impants, so he recommended to do subglandular augmentation since i already have the pocket for the implants and it will look better on me.

Implant revision and implant placement

Our approach to capsule contracture is to consider each surgical option, and discuss each option with the patient to see what is right for them.  Many options are available.  Step 1 would be to consider placing the implant under the muscle as most studies seem to indicate that this lowers the recurrence risk.  We have not had any surgical difficulty changing the position of the implant and closing the old pocket so the implant stayed in its desired position.  However, this will significantly limit your physical activity for six weeks.The second option to consider is the implant type.  Some implants have higher capsule contracture rates than others.  We find that using the Gummy Bear Mentor implants have the lowest contracture rate especially with revisions.  So you might consider switching to this as well as changing the implant position. We usually do not recommend placement of acellular dermal matrix (strattice, alloderm) with every capsule contracture revision.  This may be a good option, but our extensive experience with it still shows some recurrent contractures late term. So for us, the high cost of the material and the fact that it is not a guarantee that contracture will not recur, weighs on our recommendations.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Actually, placing the implants under the muscle decreases the risk for capsular contracture.  Also, dual plane sub-muscular implant placement provides added tissue coverage, especially at the superior pole.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Your information is inconsistent with the known anatomy of the breast. Under the muscle will provide not only glandular coverage but also muscle coverage. Without photos and the benefit of physical exam - it's impossible to provide the best answer.

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Capsular contraction can be a very frustrating complication for both patients and surgeons. In my practice, I have found the most success treating these difficult problems utilizing techniques such as sub muscular pocket conversion, capsulectomy, use of fresh implants, and the use of acellular dermal matrix (for recurrent encapsulation or if necessary to help with breast implant positioning and/or rippling/palpability). Acellular dermal matrix is a biologic implant that carries the ability to become integrated into native tissue. It is made by taking a full thickness section of skin from a donor source (his human, porcine, or bovine in origin). 
 I would suggest that you seek additional opinions with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with this type of revisionary breast surgery. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast surgery) helps.