Fraxel laser for stretch marks? (Photo)

I have white (non raised) stretch marks on my thigh and butt since I was a teenager that have always bothered me. Would Fraxel laser treatments get rid of these marks?

Treating Stretch Marks

Both Fraxel and eMatrix are effective at treating stretch marks although stretch marks are the most difficult of all marks to treat.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel for Stretch Marks

Thank you for your question. Fraxel Dual is commonly used to minimize the appearance of stretch marks. The Fraxel laser works by stimulating the regrowth of collagen. Sessions are typically done every 4-6 weeks and 4-6 sessions are suggested. Keep in mind that it may take up to a year to see maximum results since collagen reproduction is not immediate. Length of a Fraxel session is 30-60 minutes and you can expect the appearance and sensation of a sunburn for several days post laser. 

I would suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine if this laser is the best option for you.

Stretch marks

Unfortunately, there is no way to make stretch marks completely disappear.  However, there are ways to make them appear less obvious.  Best results are achieved when stretch marks are red and slightly wider than the stretch marks you appear to have from the pictures you have posted.  Consulting a dermatologist will help you determine whether you should proceed with treatment.  Good luck.

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD      

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon