How can I fix my chin/jawline?

Hello, I am 22 years old and I have always disliked my profile view. I have a weak chin (it runs in my family) and I would like to know what my options are to get a better jawline. Thank you.

what you need to improve your chin and jaw line

As noted by the other plastic surgeons, photographs, though very helpful, do not tell the whole story.  An in-person physical exam is necessary. One question to ask though is does your bite feel normal? Another words, do your upper and lower teeth sit properly in relationship to each other?If your bite is normal, one can straightaway just consider improving your jawline through simpler means. When evaluating the chin, one must evaluate it from both the full frontal view (in terms of width and length) and sideview (projection). In your case, your projection is slightly weak and modestly short in relationship to the rest of your facial proportions.  A small chin implant placed closer to the lower edge of your bony chin will not only give you projection but also impart a sense of length which will better  balance  your forehead and nose.  I would complement this with liposuction of your submental region all the way back to your ears to highlight your jaw line and give you a more elegant shadow.

How can I fix my chin/jawline?

Obviously a thorough examination is necessary on all patient, but from your pictures it would appear that liposuction of your neck would help create a sharper angle to your neck.  I dont see that your chin looks that weak, so I would be hesitant to recommend a chin implant.  

Enhanced profile

No photos are currently viewable.  In general if your bite is normal (no significant underbite) a chin implant may be one of the procedures needed to enhance your profile. If there is fullness in the area under the chin then laser assisted neck contouring (possibly with tightening of the platysma muscle) may also be needed.  Both procedures are performed through a small incision under the chin.  Chin implants (eg Implantech) are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to best meet each patient's individual needs.  After neck contouring a light compression dressing is placed that is removed the next morning.  Strenuous physical activity should be avoided for 2 weeks.

J. David Holcomb, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for weak and recessesive chin profile

When patient's have a weak and recessive chin profile, a chin implant  is usually performed to augment the mandible forward. Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

How can I fix my chin/jawline?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

How can I fix my chin/jawline?

3 options: #1 Non Surgical - HA fillers to chin, ThermiSmooth 250 RF sessions to neck. #2 Minimial Surgical - ThermiTight RF, SmartLipo + Lipo chin, HA fillers or fat grafts to chin. #3 Surgical - Chin Implant, open submittal lipectomy. Best to seek in person opinions.. Fees are close in each option... In the $4,000 range..

Based on your pictures, I would hesitate to recommend a chin implant as the larger deficiency is found in the lack of definition of your jawline.  You would see vast improvement with either microliposuction of the area under your chin, or a treatment such as ThermiRF of the submentum and lower cheek area which would help remove the fat while tightening the skin - giving you an overall highlight and improvement in definition of your jawline.  
That being said, nothing can replace an examination in person.  Certainly there are lots of different options out there, and upon a physical exam recommendations may vary drastically.  Best of luck.  I hope some of this helps.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.